Official Apple lightening dock vs generic knockoff

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dictoresno, Feb 27, 2017.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

2. Zobrien macrumors member

Zobrien

I am also looking at getting a dock for my iPhone, been debating between this or a different brand best buy sells (I work there so I get a hefty discount). Going to be choosing between the two soon, leaning towards the native union one because it has a back that holds your phone upright... I heard people have bent the lightning connector because of how flimsy this dock is if you touch your phone while connected. Interested to see what someone has to say about experience with this dock. Thanks.

3. Relentless Power, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't speak or attest to any third party charging docks, but I have heard that some of them make a whining noise when the watch is fully charged. It's a very faint whiny noise, but I heard a lot of them tend to make this one the iPhone is fully charged and others can hear it. I have No idea why it would make this noise, but I have read reviews and posts from other forum members commenting on this.

4. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Watch? You mean iPhone?

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My mistake. I meant iPhone dock. Edited. Thanks.

6. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

So with the knockoffs, some people have encountered the phone making the whining noise

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There was a thread I read about two months ago about a few forum members mentioning that some of the docks were causing whining issues. I have no idea if they has to do with the compatibility.

For example, if you've ever heard when you charge something, if you listen closely you can hear a whining pitched noise. That was the reports that werewith generic or third party charging docks that were emanating a pitched whining noise. Again, I have no idea if that has anything to do with the iPhone or charging dock.

Perhaps somebody else has experience with this, can insert their views.

8. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Yea I know the whining noise you're talking about. I think I'll just get the real dock if I do.

9. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

I have an original Apple dock and would never use the phone while its on the dock. Looks way to easy to snap off the lightning connector. Although I have charged my Air 2 on it without problems.

The noise you're talking should come from the charger, not the dock. But you never know with cheap parts..

Coil noise or coil whine is a phenomenon in electronics which produces undesirable audible sound. In magnetic resonance imaging "coil noise" is that part of total system noise attributed to the receiving coil, due to its non-zero temperature.

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I have a couple of the Apple docks around the house and I think the are great in space grey and black and suit the black 7, jet black 7+ and space grey iPad.

I charge my 9.7" pro on it no problem and I have the one on my bedside table because I use the Living Earth app at night for time. I also stuck the dock to the table so that I can pick the phone up with one hand.

11. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I would be careful. iOS 10.3 is really knuckling down on unsupported cables.

12. leeroyjenko macrumors newbie

leeroyjenko

I purchased one of the 1:1 copies with headphone jack (most of the cheaper ones don't have this).

The lightning connector broke within 30 minutes. I opened it up, the whole connected had broken off the pins on the circuit board. Out of the box the lightning connected had a lot of play in it.

I've got two genuine ones, they are completely different when it comes to build quality.