Official Apple Page For iOS Downloads?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by matthew2926, Apr 25, 2014.

1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew of the official Apple website where I could download IPSW files. I know that there are a lot of 3rd party sites that offer these downloads but after a bad experience in the past I have refused to download from any site but Apple. Anyone know of the official Apple site? Thanks in advance!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't believe there is one. iTunes can get the one you need on its own when you are updating or restoring and that's basically it.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I believe there is one. For those that are developers. But for common folks, nope

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You cannot install any firmware but the most recent anyways.

5. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a developer but they still haven't posted 7.1.1. I was hoping that there was a different page that was kept more up to date.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

If you need direct Apple links, refer -> www.getios.com

Only for official versions, not for Betas

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

8. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

This is the website I've always used. It is actually linking to Apple's servers, so you're not getting a file that was downloaded and uploaded again.

I hope this helps!

9. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that this is what I was looking for. Based on the links that this site provides, it seems like it is grabbing the IPSWs right from Apple. Thanks! I really wish that Apple had some sort of way to navigate to a download page to these files rather than just providing a link...oh well

----------

I always like to have the most recent firmware files in case Apple decides to release a beta suddenly. This way I can download and test out the new beta and be able to switch back to the most recent official release without waiting for the firmware file to download. Allows me to do the waiting now rather than when I'm stuck on a crappy beta.

----------

I've used this site a few times in the past and it seemed pretty good. My only problem is that I couldn't find on the site where they say that they are taking the files directly from Apple. How do you know that this is true?

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I restore fresh from the iPSW file so that I don't have any problems OTA. I know it's not really necessary, but there have been times where I had to restore after updating OTA because of problems/bugs.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Oh. Why not just restore and update on the computer then?

12. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I like to test out the new betas, and if your switching from a beta to the latest official version, you need to have the iPSW file on hand. I'm assuming there won't be a new iOS version leading up to WWDC, so it's convenient to have a copy of 7.1.1.

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Oh, from a beta. Nvm then

14. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same, that's why I like having the IPSWs.

----------

Also, I have found that updates are never as clean as a fresh restore. More convenient though.