OFFICIAL: Apple to Release Single Charger in 2010

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retroneo, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Apple will release a new eco-friendly charger that will work across different brands of mobile phone in 2010.

EU officials say they have reached a deal with mobile phone makers to introduce a new single, more energy efficient charger that can be used for data-enabled handsets.

EU Industry Commissioner Guenter Verheugen says selling a single, standard charger will cut costs to manufacturers and reduce the number of chargers thrown away when consumers buy new phones.

Verheugen says he also wants to see the common charger expand to include other older phones, cameras and laptops in the years ahead.

Under Monday's accord, phone makers Nokia, Sony Ericsson,
    Apple, Motorola, Research in Motion and others will introduce the single charger by next year.

Source:

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...gree-on-new-single-charger-20090629-d2lb.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencea...acturers-agree-on-standard-phone-charger.html

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/06/29/ap6596827.html

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

why do you doubt it?
    i think apple will be using an adaptor though, they wouldnt be getting rid of the 30 pin connector for a micro usb port.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

This was in the news about a month or two ago. Apparently all those listed are working on a universal charger to reduce costs, carbon footprint etc.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

This same subject was brought up last year, if you search you might find it.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Going to a standard connector may save say ten cents per unit and ten cents per cable. But when selling as many units as they do it comes equates toa lot towards the bottom line.

8. petemwah macrumors regular

i imagine the single charger will be similar to the current iphone 3g s charger, i.e. with a USB connection (and very small). this way there can be a universal cable as well as having the option of changing the cable (for the iphone for instance, as i doubt it will use the same port as a nokia for instance), too many accessories using the iphone dock!

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Probably Apple white if you buy it with an Apple product and black if you buy it with something else, but you'll be able to use them for multiple products from multiple manufacturers.

I hope they make it compact, not one of those bulky things that block one outlet on either side.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except manufacturers will stop providing the charger with the product, forcing you to purchase it separately. Apple will still keep their $x99 price points, so it's just one less thing to give you.

It'll fall victim just like the dock.

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

your signature disturbs me :D

12. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Apple already have a universal charger. I have to plug my cable in (which has a standard USB plug) in order to charge my iphone. if I plug any other USB cable in there, and plug it in to any other USB device, it charges it.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Most annoying signature, EVER!

Actually, that's not true. It could be use colors.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yeah, what the hell is a i3P2hG3oBgnSe?

15. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

The question is if all companies don't include the charger in their packages, where would we get that 1st universal charger? Buy it separately? What if I need more than one universal charger? Perhaps, it will be an optional item when we order a product. If so, they'd better not try to make a profit and charge a high price for it.

Second, if we use the same charger over and over again for different gadgets for years and years, using the old charger may become dangerous. But, some people will just use it to save $ to buy a new one. What if the old beat up charger causes the laptop battery to explode?

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Apple have probably been drooling over that prospect for years (both for iPhones and laptops... heck they'd make you pay extra for the laptop keyboard if they could find a way), but I sincerely doubt that Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Samsung etc would take the charger out of the box and make you buy it separately.

17. Mengels7 macrumors regular

18. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.