Official AT&T unlock with jailbroken/unlocked 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FunFred2007, Apr 10, 2012.

1. FunFred2007, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

FunFred2007 macrumors newbie

I recently left the US to study overseas, and while AT&T told me I could not unlock my 3GS, I took the liberty of doing it myself. I had the old bootrom, and I moved to 6.15.00 baseband (from 5.16.05).

I now have a 5.0.1, jailbroken, unlocked 3GS. This leaves me with 3 questions:

1. How do I upgrade to 5.1?
    2. Can I get an AT&T official unlock? Is it even worth it?
    3. Is there any way to fix my GPS?

Thanks so much for your help!

EDIT: I don't need my iPhone to be jailbroken at the end of this process. I just want an unlocked iPhone.

2. enduro0125 macrumors member

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you installed the 6.15 baseband it's permanent. the factory unlock is of 0 benefit to you! sorry! btw this was in the original warnings from the Dev-Team.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.

There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).

Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
    Also loss of GPS

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The benefit would be that you won't have to use ultrasn0w for the unlock. You will be stuck at 06.15.00 however.

5. enduro0125 macrumors member

Back in December my 3GS was way past warrenty and I had a 4s.
    I needed to unlock the 3GS so I could use it abroad.
    At the time it was,and still,worth the risk.

I now look at the 6.15 bb as tatoo I guess.
    Not easily fixed.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's pointless.
    You're still stuck with the iPad bb.

7. sava66 macrumors newbie

same problem but with 5.16.05

I have an iPhone 3GS which is on 5.16.05 modem firmware, old bootrom. I am trying to keep my device unethered jailbroken while i factory unlock from ATT. I already talked to them, they said i just have to restore. It is not unlocked with ultrasnow. it is on IPSW 5.0, jailbroken untethered. When i load redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b6 and follow the instructions, it says that "You already have pwned system with a bootrom". It's basically saying "why do you want to jailbreak a jailbroken phone?" at what point in this process is the phone restored with the factory unlock from ATT? I don't have to restore it first, correct?
    Error:
    this device is already pwned with a bootrom exploit
    for the time being, redsnow requires that you manually select the ipsw in the extra screen in order to specify the current build
    this will be fixed in a future release.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Use "SAM" from Cydia to de-activate, then reboot and plug into iTunes to apply the unlock.

9. Elybella macrumors newbie

"Stuck" at 6.15?

Hi there - I've struggled to hack my own AT&T 3GS for use here in London, where I now live - and finally paid some stranger £20 to do it for me. Evidently he set my baseband to 6.15, as I can see that now in my settings :/ On the one hand, I'm happy to be able to use my phone here, so can't complain *too* much - on the other hand, having the security of an official AT&T unlock would put me at ease (in case I ever had to restore / update my phone, etc.)

Although I have received confirmation of my unlock from AT&T, I realize after reading this that my baseband is a kiss-of-death of sorts.

What exactly does "The benefit would be that you won't have to use ultrasn0w for the unlock. You will be stuck at 06.15.00 however." mean? Does being "stuck" at a certain baseband have any effect for the average (or maybe in my case, below-average) user?

Please explain, I'd be so grateful - I don't anticipate being able to afford to upgrade from my 3GS anytime soon, unfortunately...

10. waynef89 macrumors member

Tried and tested with official and custom restore

11. enduro0125 macrumors member

Awesome!

12. enduro0125 macrumors member

13. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

It works on most 3G/3GS iPhones, but a small percentage may become bricked until the next redsn0w is released, which use the Spansion flash chip. Just wait a few days if you can't deal with a bricked phone.

14. Itaiyz97 macrumors newbie

The revised downgrade is out, you can downgrade and enjoy a fully unlocked and stable iPhone with GPS.

15. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

Thanks, I just downloaded it:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/