Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikecenizal

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
just read all the good reviews on the beejive app avail in the itunes store. it sounds pretty promising compared too all the other messenger apps but it is a bit pricey. so it is supposed to use email as a "background-like" notification, but does it matter which email provider you use with your iphone? i ask because most the reviewers mentioned mobile me, which i do not use. i use gmail which still doesnt have push email correct?

do you need to use a email account with push support to make the bejive app work? anyone with gmail use it with any success?

mike

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
It's a very smooth and polished IM app. I think it's the best one on the store. It's a little pricey, but $16 isn't horrible.

You don't need MobileMe, or any push email account, but if you don't have push, it kind of defeats the purpose unless you check your emails every few seconds. You will still get the emails though. If you want a push email without signing up for MobileMe, get Yahoo! mail. It offers free push, and you can use that email for Beejive.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

gmail pushes now.

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

gmail pushes now.

huh?

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008

gmail pushes now.

No it doesn't... At least, not that I've heard of.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
i get my emails through gmail instantly now. not at 15 minute intervals. so something happened on gmails end.

I doubt it. I noticed that my one IMAP account seemed like it was pushing quickly but it wasn't. Google isn't going to enable it for iPhones.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I doubt it. I noticed that my one IMAP account seemed like it was pushing quickly but it wasn't. Google isn't going to enable it for iPhones.

The iPhone email application most likely just implements IMAP idle "push" email like Chatteremail did for Palm devices. Thunderbird and other email applications also use this for fast email checking.

Gmail would need to specifically disable these IMAP features for iPhone users if they weren't going to "enable" it for the iPhone. I think the problem is more with Apple not enabling it in the Mail software for any accounts other than Yahoo or MobileMe.

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008

ummm ok. just tested it again. emailed myself from another account and wham, i see a notification on my iphone. but sure. doubt it all you want from afar.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The iPhone email application most likely just implements IMAP idle "push" email like Chatteremail did for Palm devices. Thunderbird and other email applications also use this for fast email checking.

Gmail would need to specifically disable these IMAP features for iPhone users if they weren't going to "enable" it for the iPhone. I think the problem is more with Apple not enabling it in the Mail software for any accounts other than Yahoo or MobileMe.

It had to be implemented through a jailbreak app in 1.1.x. Apple will never allow it.

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
i just sent an e-mail to myself on gmail. it's not pushing. if you go to your push settings, and in advance you'll see gmail doesn't have a push on the iPhone. yahoo definitely does. i'll try deleting my account and re-add it to see if it does anything.

edit: yeah just tried deleting gmail account. only option is fetch or manual. yahoo has push, fetch, manual. so no clue how someone is getting "push" for their gmail account. really sux cuz i really want gmail push :mad:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
i just sent an e-mail to myself on gmail. it's not pushing. if you go to your push settings, and in advance you'll see gmail doesn't have a push on the iPhone. yahoo definitely does. i'll try deleting my account and re-add it to see if it does anything.

edit: yeah just tried deleting gmail account. only option is fetch or manual. yahoo has push, fetch, manual. so no clue how someone is getting "push" for their gmail account. really sux cuz i really want gmail push :mad:

Like I said, I noticed a time today when all my IMAP email for my work account came in soon after it was sent out. I don't know if it was a bug or what but it hasn't happened since this afternoon. There is no IMAP idle for anything but Yahoo and MobileMe right now and I doubt Google will allow the iPhone to get push Gmail because of the G1 and it's Gmail push.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
If your iPhone is jailbroken, install an application called Backgrounder from Cydia. It allows it to run in the background and alerts you (and disaplays an updated badge) when you receive a new message.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If your iPhone is jailbroken, install an application called Backgrounder from Cydia. It allows it to run in the background and alerts you (and disaplays an updated badge) when you receive a new message.

Have you tried it yourself? How much battery does it burn?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Oddly enough, I'm on the way to work and I just gt my work email through IMAP nearly immediately. Seems to only be happening on the cellular network, though. Wonder why it's happening now and not before...so odd.

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I have the background running tweak installed from cydia as well... IMs are sent directly to the phone and not pushed to an email... I've had it for a day and haven't noticed any significant drain on my battery...

The only semi-con is that I'm not sure if it background processes everything... So in case of that i've been force quiting everything I open except beejive... Like does it background process "settings" if I open it?

I know you have to hold the hold the home button down to set it to background but it seems when I tap the home button to exit, and reopen the same program, it loads as if it were background processed...

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I just tested my theory on YouTube... I think you have to Actually set it to run background and I was wrong about it backgrounding everythig you open

I just tested my theory on YouTube... I think you have to Actually set it to run background and I was wrong about it backgrounding everythig you open

Oops double post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.