Official Carrier Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Thomasba58, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Thomasba58 macrumors member

Thomasba58

I have a 3gs with firmware 05:13:04 and I am currently JB'd to 4.1 with pwnage and unlocked with ultrasnow. I have blobs back to 3.1.3.
    I am now out of contract with my carrier and can ask them for an official carrier unlock so I don't have to use ultrasnow anymore.

Do I need to unjailbreak first or can I get the official unlock put on whilst still Jailbroken?.

All advice welcomed :rolleyes:

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

To apply the official unlock you MAY have to go to the latest software 4.3.1, because using SHSH Blobs blocks iTunes talking with Apple, so iTunes won't know to unlock the iPhone.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Where are you locate? In US you can unlock code for all phones once you fulfill your contract, except the IPhone. So, I don't believe you can't get this from your carrier. However, you might try. Please keep us posted how it goes.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Since you have shsh blobs from 3.1.3 and forward I'd restore to official 4.2.1
    Then JB it with Greenpoison. If your carrier officially unlocks your iphone you wont have to worry about basebands, unlock hacks etc...
    Just the JB if you want to keep it or not. up to you.

5. Thomasba58 thread starter macrumors member

Thomasba58

OK great thanks, should I JB before I unlock or does it not matter?

in answer to Crystal-RX I'm based in England and I believe the carrier rules are not as strict as they are in the US.

in the UK once you are out of Contract they cannot refuse to give you the unlock.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you want to unlock via software, then you need to jailbreak it first before you can unlock. There is no way around it.

Since you can get the official unlock from your carrier. it is best to go that route so you can update to whatever latest firmware and you don't need to worry about loosing your unlock.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're officially unlocking then as soon as you restore to factory firmware then you will get a message on itunes that says "congradulations your iphone has been unlocked"
    Then after that you can close itunes and JB it if you want.
    It doesnt really matter though cause you'd be ok either way and your phone will never be locked again.

8. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

Unless I misunderstood, the lock is Apples requirement not the carriers.
    Apple does not like IPhones JB and or unlocked

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

This is not true. Apple is careless whether the Iphone is unlocked or not. If the iphone is unlocked, probably more demand on the users and therefore, they can sell more units and make more profit. It is the agreement they have with carriers.

You can buy Iphones factory unlock in other countries but not in the US.

10. Thomasba58 thread starter macrumors member

Thomasba58

Excellent thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. I do want to keep my jb as the are so many thing that uncle steve won't let us do!