Official Carrier Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peter1039, Apr 27, 2010.

1. peter1039 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

o2 Ireland recently announced that they will be offering a free factory unlock through iTunes. I was wondering if anyone knows about this unlock process. When I click on the carrier settings update in iTunes will it update my firmware aswell or will it just unlock the phone as I want to stay on 3.1.2,

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time you restore or update the phone itunes will display a message that your iphone is unlocked.
    But you gotta make sure you do the proper paperwork and your carrier goes thru unlocking the serial number of your phone.

3. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks, I know this is the wrong forum but if i wanted to stay jailbroken, my best bet would be to restore to 3.1.3 then get the carrier unlock then jailbreak? Cause the baseband etc wouldnt matter if I had an official unlock?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you have a 3G or 3GS model?
    Yes, the baseband wouldnt matter any more since yours would be officially unlocked but 3GS models with 3.1.3 firmware cannot be JB at the moment.

5. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, i have a 3gs! Any way i can get the unlock without updating? I heard snowbreeze can jb 3.1.3 on a 3gs, is that not true?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can go from a JB 3.1.2 to a custom 3.1.3 created with pwnagetool. Thats if you have the old bootrom and not a tethered Jailbreak.
    Dont use snowbreeze, its crap.
    You can also wait till theres a JB for 3.1.3 or 4.0 to restore or update.
    You dont need to do it right away. Your phones IMEI will still be in the unlocked list untill then.

7. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the warning about snowbreeze! So basically I should connect my iPhone, get the unlock message then option click restore and select a custom 3.1.3 firmware made with pwnage tool?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

you gotta put your iPhone in restore mode and then option restore and select the custom ipsw created with pwnage.