Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Amen, brother.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan but with the current revival, Star Trek for me exists from TOS to Nemesis. JJ Abrams made a couple of movies called "Star Trek" with characters sharing names from TOS but it was far from Star Trek.

+1. The new ST films missed the point of what ST is. Frankly I can't understand why they're so well revered.

Zealous

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Charleston, IL
Love Firefly... But...

Firefly was an amazing television series that died too young... And the movie that was supposed to wrap things up did just that... and removed any hope of more seasons coming out ever (if there was any to begin with).

But... this game is (probably) a cheap, iOS version of StarCitizen... and not a good one. :-/

If you really want to play the Firefly game, go pre-order StarCitizen.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

----------

+1. The new ST films missed the point of what ST is. Frankly I can't understand why they're so well revered.

The new StarTrek movies were made to bring in new Star Trek fans and give old trekkies a new line of story to sink their teeth into. They're revered because JJ did just that and made a fantastic movie and new storyline.

The movies aren't a copy of ST. They are a re-imagination of it from the beginning.

:) When you get a moment, watch them over again with that in mind. They are awesome.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It was a very unique show. Never really got used to the Chinese curses though. :p

You're not the only one. I speak Chinese and I couldn't make heads or tails of most of the curses. And when I did recognize some tortured fragment of Mandarin, I got distracted by it -- "Oh, I see, THAT's what you're trying to say. That's not really- oh well, whatever."

Their swearing in "Chinese" is a lot like looking at those Japanese signs with "Engrish" written on them. Sort of, but not quite, what they intended.

Also: two pages of comments and nobody has said "Shiny!" yet??

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Firefly was an amazing television series that died too young... And the movie that was supposed to wrap things up did just that... and removed any hope of more seasons coming out ever (if there was any to begin with).
Yes, Whedon and Fillion have made it pretty clear they have stopped trying. The movie was it. There was talk of revival, movie sequels, etc. A video game is pretty innocuous, hardly counts as anything.

The movies aren't a copy of ST. They are a re-imagination of it from the beginning.

:) When you get a moment, watch them over again with that in mind. They are awesome.
The movies aren't horrible. But the fact that the director and actors spent (I estimate) 70% of their effort on stupid accents and mannerisms to mimic a show from a completely different era that had multiple nationalities thrown together specifically to appeal to politically correct idiots bores me. Even Cumberbatch couldn't save it for my brain, and he was incredible. It's Urban's worst performance ever, and that's because he didn't have any part in the movies, just a few one liners in a particular style. Etc.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You're not the only one. I speak Chinese and I couldn't make heads or tails of most of the curses. And when I did recognize some tortured fragment of Mandarin, I got distracted by it -- "Oh, I see, THAT's what you're trying to say. That's not really- oh well, whatever."

Their swearing in "Chinese" is a lot like looking at those Japanese signs with "Engrish" written on them. Sort of, but not quite, what they intended.

Also: two pages of comments and nobody has said "Shiny!" yet??

It wasn't meant to be 100% accurate. It's the future, language evolves. Also, none of the characters on the show were Asian, it makes sense if their curses would be messed up, and it was a way to show how in the future China has replaced western culture as the major cultural force.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
But... this game is (probably) a cheap, iOS version of StarCitizen... and not a good one. :-/

If you really want to play the Firefly game, go pre-order StarCitizen.

StarCitizen looks amazing but incredibly ambitious. If they do 10% of what they set out to do I will be shocked. But I backed it anyway, hoping for the best.

The new StarTrek movies were made to bring in new Star Trek fans and give old trekkies a new line of story to sink their teeth into. They're revered because JJ did just that and made a fantastic movie and new storyline.

What new storyline? into Darkness was a Wrath of Khan remake, with some 9/11 themes tossed in to make it "relevant."

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Futurama
Firefly
Arrested Development

Networks are their own worst enemies.

Or was that Fox, Fox, and Fox...

Fox (Entertainment, not News) deserves credit as a gutsy network for even giving those quirky shows a chance in the first place. "Arrested Development", in particular, was extremely poorly suited for network TV: with jokes that took several episodes to set up the punchline; nearly 100% reliance on a narrator voiceover to provide narrative development; and rapid-fire double entendres that required paying close attention to even catch, as well as reasonable intelligence to understand. This is a show that would have been a huge hit on HBO; on Fox, they let it get into a third season, even given non-existant ratings.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It wasn't meant to be 100% accurate. It's the future, language evolves. Also, none of the characters on the show were Asian, it makes sense if their curses would be messed up, and it was a way to show how in the future China has replaced western culture as the major cultural force.

Also, they didn't want to put actual curses on broadcast TV, regardless of language. Gorram frackin' TV!

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Failed? How do you figure it's a failed series? The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager, they each ran for 7 seasons. That's 21 seasons of Star Trek shows (plus the 3 seasons of the original ST series). Hardly a failed series.

Firefly, on the other hand, was a failed series, having lasted only 1 season (and barely that at only 14 episodes). Which is very unfortunate, because it was an AWESOME show. It really deserved to go on, based on its quality in my opinion, but apparently it just wasn't profitable enough for the studio to keep it going.

Personally, I'd much rather see them get the original cast back together and revive the show, than to play a game about it a decade+ after its demise. Sadly, that will probably never happen.

The original Star Trek was a failure and only ran as long as it did because the television landscape was far less competitive. Star Trek also ran in syndication for YEARS attracting a larger fan base then the original 3 year run. This was back when local affiliates ran a lot more filler. And Star Trek was that filler. I was born 4 years after the show was cancelled and yet it was on TV constantly through most of my childhood. There is NO WAY Star Trek would be the franchise that it is today without that kind of exposure.

There was an 11 year gap between the series and the first movie. And a 18 year gap between the original series and TNG which was the first "successful" Star Trek television series.

Comparing the two is completely ridiculous because of the VAST difference in programming landscape and culture at the networks. (Shows get cancelled much quicker now.)

Also the original Star Trek was horrible. The stories were good and I applaud the social conscience. But the acting and directing are atrocious. The characters are caricatures at best and inane stereotypes at worst.

The good thing is many more people are discovering Firefly on Netflix. Who knows 18 years after it's cancellation maybe someone will make a successful version. :)

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Ugh, Papyrus.

I don't remember if they used it in the show or if its just a poor design choice...

It's not papyrus.
edit: sadly, it is papyrus, except for the logo.

Last edited:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Sounds like fun! Kind of like an Elite game of times past... I like those kind of space RPG's. I do wonder how they'll use the limited Firefly universe though. The series was cancelled so soon after all.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
All that, and don't forget that Star Trek TOS was at one time dead last in the ratings, and was nearly cancelled during the second season (but was saved by a letter writing campaign). Despite what it all eventually turned into, and even though I love it dearly, there certainly are grounds to call the original incarnation of the show a "failed" series. And that's not even mentioning most of the third season...

Hard for a fan to write about how great the original Star Trek series was when they barley can write.
(Personal experience)

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

Exactly.

I think they're revered because they appear brand new and shiny but lack a whole lot of substance, nothing more than a veneer.

Personally, I wouldn't have had a problem with JJ Abrams's Star Trek had he kept it in the existing universe but he had to give us this POS that was a double backhand across the face and told us to forget established lore. I remember reading that JJ Abrams was never a Star Trek fan but a Star Wars fan and didn't have any respect for the Star Trek source material. Talk about getting the wrong guy for the job, I suppose it doesn't matter as long as he can attract a stupid audience that's willing to pay for bad story telling.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
100% agree, screw you Abrams

Exactly.

I think they're revered because they appear brand new and shiny but lack a whole lot of substance, nothing more than a veneer.

Personally, I wouldn't have had a problem with JJ Abrams's Star Trek had he kept it in the existing universe but he had to give us this POS that was a double backhand across the face and told us to forget established lore. I remember reading that JJ Abrams was never a Star Trek fan but a Star Wars fan and didn't have any respect for the Star Trek source material. Talk about getting the wrong guy for the job, I suppose it doesn't matter as long as he can attract a stupid audience that's willing to pay for bad story telling.

Absolutely. So much that I hated in the new films. The lens flare, the camera shake, the Nokia phone in the first one, the awful soundtrack; the fact that James Kirk was born in flippin' space, the Spock/Uhura romance, the bad-guy who was as scary as a damp dish-towel, the crazy plot point (what, some half-cut womaniser immediately becomes Captain of the Enterprise, because it's 'in his blood'?!). Yeah, great. I'll pilot the next NASA space-shuttle, even though I'm an aggressive drunk with no redeeming qualities. But not to worry: my father was a pilot, so I'm suited for it!

Not to mention that bloody scene where they're diving through a planet's atmosphere in their suits (beyond ridiculous), or how they shoe-horned Leonard Nimoy in there. I knew he was a sell-out from the ballad of 'Bilbo Baggins', but come on, Nimoy. Have some self-respect, Star Trek is what you're known for.

I won't even get started on the 'new' one.

Star Trek is about humanity, mainly; how we deal with it, how we evolve, how we better ourselves. It's about exploration, the final frontier FFS. It's beautiful sci-fi, and he turned it into a poor action film set in space. And the critics loved it. "Star Trek is cool again!", they croon, haphazardly shoving fistfuls of popcorn into their gormless guts. Yes, God forbid watching a film that inspires you, or makes you think a little.

UGH. I should stop ranting now, I'm going to give myself a headache. I find the new films nothing short of abhorrent. Thanks for ruining my childhood, Abrams.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Absolutely. So much that I hated in the new films. The lens flare, the camera shake, the Nokia phone in the first one, the awful soundtrack; the fact that James Kirk was born in flippin' space, the Spock/Uhura romance, the bad-guy who was as scary as a damp dish-towel, the crazy plot point (what, some half-cut womaniser immediately becomes Captain of the Enterprise, because it's 'in his blood'?!). Yeah, great. I'll pilot the next NASA space-shuttle, even though I'm an aggressive drunk with no redeeming qualities. But not to worry: my father was a pilot, so I'm suited for it!

Not to mention that bloody scene where they're diving through a planet's atmosphere in their suits (beyond ridiculous), or how they shoe-horned Leonard Nimoy in there. I knew he was a sell-out from the ballad of 'Bilbo Baggins', but come on, Nimoy. Have some self-respect, Star Trek is what you're known for.

I won't even get started on the 'new' one.

Star Trek is about humanity, mainly; how we deal with it, how we evolve, how we better ourselves. It's about exploration, the final frontier FFS. It's beautiful sci-fi, and he turned it into a poor action film set in space. And the critics loved it. "Star Trek is cool again!", they croon, haphazardly shoving fistfuls of popcorn into their gormless guts. Yes, God forbid watching a film that inspires you, or makes you think a little.

UGH. I should stop ranting now, I'm going to give myself a headache. I find the new films nothing short of abhorrent. Thanks for ruining my childhood, Abrams.

Ah, yes. The ever popular "It's not what I grew up with, so it sucks!" rant. We Star Wars fans are quite familiar with that particular screed. :rolleyes:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ah, yes. The ever popular "It's not what I grew up with, so it sucks!" rant. We Star Wars fans are quite familiar with that particular screed. :rolleyes:

Not at all, tbrinkma. Thanks for the sarcasm, by the way; I guess if I don't like something I must be a butthurt fanboy. ;) They missed the point of Star Trek, that's the issue here. You can't just make any old film and then slap a well-known title onto it to make more sales.

It's like if they made a Bond film without any action scenes. It's not a case of 'it's not what I grew up with', it's a case that they completely butchered the franchise.

Truth be told, the new ST film was just an action film set in space, and wasn't anything deeper than that. It could have easily existed without the ST franchise shoe-horned onto it. But if it didn't have ST in it, then people wouldn't remember the film as being amazing; they'd just remember it as yet another boring action film set in space.

It's just that people said "wow, I don't remember ST having this many explosions! Now it's a franchise my drooling brain can relate to!" :mad: Abrams, you suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.