Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Anyone going to Austin this year? I'm thinking of heading out there for the race!

I am! :)

----------

Simply let me watch the 2012 races either live or on demand, and I will buy the app and subscription. Make them an in app purchase for the free model, it's found money for Bernie.....

Even if you could simply offer the races as a tv show on iTunes the next day or two, would be better than nothing.

Since F1 won't allow that, because I am a cable cord cutter, I will simply have to torrent the racing broadcasts again this year to watch F1.

(Indycar/CART use to have an on demand/previous races available to watch later service, but they dropped the service the last couple of years. Boo....)

Yep, honestly F1 is the only reason I have cable anymore, and I won't be keeping it around much longer. Would LOVE to see an F1 App for Apple TV. Like I said, I'd easily pay $100 or more per season no prob.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I would pay more for this if it had HD video feeds on top of the timing info! I did wake up at 7am or whatever a few times last year to catch races live, would rather still be in bed with iPad! I don't think solely using the app. and not watching HD video on TV would be very fun.

Anyone going to Austin this year? I'm thinking of heading out there for the race!

You can pay Sky £10 a month (or if you've got Sky already its free) for the privilege of watching any Sky Sports channel on your ipad ;)

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Has the Sky Sports F1 iPad App been approved by Apple yet?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44837/sky-sports-for-ipad-pictures

skysportsforipadpicture.jpg

Ramboxman

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Price High

I can't figure out of the price was cut in half they would get 10 tens as many purchases and make money. I agree website for me until this hit 11.99 or less.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

All I need is the free live timing, thanks.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Expensive (like all related f1)

I always use the web based live timetable, I hope that it can be used free in this app, like the old ones.

flynndean

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

This App is designed for the timing/data/telemetry junkie. If any of you have attended F1 Races in person, it's pretty much identical to the Kangaroo TV Devices that are available (I think I've seen similar at NASCAR) but without the multiple live camera streams.

Considering Kangaroo TV costs £80+ per race, this App represents an absolute bargain.

I have it open when I'm watching qualifying/Racing live on TV. Television coverage can only show one thing at a time & I find the GPS and Live Timing incredibly useful for monitoring the race in the way I want. Indeed, it's not uncommon to notice closing gaps, pit-stops & overtakes minutes before the Commentators mention them on TV.

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

besweeeet said:

I probably will.

And you guys can always rely on live Internet streams of races :).

Usually on flash player...... Oh wait a minute......

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Alternatively if you have the Sky Sports package, simply get Sky app + iPad / iPhone.

You can watch races live too! I would rather pay for extra data to watch all races than fork out for this App this year.

Don't get me wrong, I bought and used this App two seasons ago (it is very good), but not worth it now Sky has entered the room IMO...... :)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Usually on flash player...... Oh wait a minute......
That's where iSwifter comes in handy. It runs acceptably well(for mobile Flash) on my iPad 2.
There's plenty of SkyHD(albeit not in HD) streams.

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
In regards to the app, it's kind of neat. Having never used an app like this on my iOS device before, I'd say that it's worth $14.99 at most. The demo mode for the previous practice was cool (except that Vettel was leading).

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII

Maybe not from audio sync but i thought you can already re-run races after the event ie start it when you watch it on dvr

It's not worth the pain involved in trying to manually resync it after you FF through each commercial break.

----------

Simply let me watch the 2012 races either live or on demand, and I will buy the app and subscription. Make them an in app purchase for the free model, it's found money for Bernie.....

Even if you could simply offer the races as a tv show on iTunes the next day or two, would be better than nothing.

Since F1 won't allow that, because I am a cable cord cutter, I will simply have to torrent the racing broadcasts again this year to watch F1.

(Indycar/CART use to have an on demand/previous races available to watch later service, but they dropped the service the last couple of years. Boo....)

I end up doing that anyway just to get the more thorough / better UK coverage anyway.

Spotless

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Hmmm.

My post disappeared. Bernie, is that you!?

As I way trying to say:

The app you guys should check out is called:

Sky Sports News for iPad

(make sure you get the one with '...for iPad' as the old version is still on the app store)

This app is only about £5 per month for non-sky (read: wise, moral) people (;)) and the brand new F1 section offers live camera selection and all that goodness.

'Sky Go' offers the Sky broadcast live. And that is £10 per month for non-Sky (read: smart, beautiful) people. (;))

What I really want is for F1 to commission a full-on MLB at Bat-style app. Then I won't have to give any money to Murdock at all.

I have bought the official app since it was launched, and in my opinion it is a bit poo. Disappointment at the lack of development over the years has convinced me to not buy it anymore.

Last edited:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I like the idea of the app, bought it last two years, but I'm protesting it this year.

They have went BACK to having this odd lined background on the optional landscape screen (when you click helmet button).

That screen should just be a black background because the lines do not match up.

If anyone wants to complain about this issue too, please let me know. It drives me crazy.

I will just use my Air on F1.com until they fix the app. It's so much easier to grab the iPad though.

IXL

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Ive not found an app "yet" that offers the split timing free...

Im in the UK and last year (2011) used the same Softpauer F1 Live Timing app for free on my iphones. It was great. This year, its not free ( for the split times etc as you rightly stated above ). However ( not sure if your aware of this ) but I questioned if the app would expire at the end of the season if I purchased it to Steve at Softpauer, because my 2011 didnt want to work.

Yes the App will expire at the end of the 2012 season, the cost works out at around £1 a race.

:mad:

I cant work out that response because this followed :

Sorry, unfortunately we have to pay a annual licence fee to Formula 1 management to use the data, and the app requires a large support team and server management team at each event.

All the best

Steve

Which made no real sense because last year the app was free, so obviously didnt need any team or support then ( so why now ) and if there is an annual licence fee for the data, why is the website free ?

So this app purchase, is more like a subscription.

I refuse to buy it as I would need to keep re-buying it which is just daft...and just use the website which is free instead. Tom Tom, Garage Band or any app for that matter that ive seen or purchased dont "expire".

I think it might even breach purchasing regs of some sort, as it doesnt state the app is not of life ( if you see what I mean ).

IXL

Last edited:

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Anyone know a way to catch Sky's F1 coverage in the States (not live). I have access to Speed's coverage--it's lame. I can proxy BBC i-player too. I miss Brundle's race commentary. I don't want to wake up at 2:00 am to find a Sky stream.

Thanks

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Anyone know a way to catch Sky's F1 coverage in the States (not live). I have access to Speed's coverage--it's lame. I can proxy BBC i-player too. I miss Brundle's race commentary. I don't want to wake up at 2:00 am to find a Sky stream.

Thanks

Just curious, but what's wrong with SPEED's coverage? I've never watched Sky's (or BBC's) coverage before, so I don't know what I should be expecting.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Just curious, but what's wrong with SPEED's coverage? I've never watched Sky's (or BBC's) coverage before, so I don't know what I should be expecting.

They often miss things that Sky or BBC pick up on, because they're not at the track, they're commentating from a studio on the other side of the world. For example, numerous times during yesterday's race, DC was seeing and reporting things going on in the pit lane or on parts of the track he could see from the commentary box, that weren't shown on the world feed.

Also, they talk to the audience as if they're idiots because they assume most American's don't regularly watch F1 and they feel the need to spoon feed them everything, and compare everything to NASCAR or IndyCar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.