Official Gmail App Updated, Some Good Features Finally Added

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heifzilla, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Heifzilla macrumors newbie

Heifzilla

A couple of new additions to the official Gmail app for iOS. You can finally have a signature specifically for your gmail account. I know this is important to a lot of people :)

You also get a vacation responder, and I think they changed the notification sound, too.

This article details the changes: http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57343100-12/gmail-app-updated-with-scribbles-signatures/

I had to uninstall the app and reinstall it to get the new changes to take effect, but my husband didn't, it just updated for him, so YMMV.

Heif

2. APtalent macrumors regular

3. mms13 macrumors 6502

Yeah it's still just a web view...really no different than the gmail mobile site. I'm fine with Mail.app

4. Heifzilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Heifzilla

It's not a web view. It's an actual app. And that's how gmail looks. I happen to really like it, and don't see what is so terrible about it. I personally can't stand the native mail app, to each their own :)

----------

I don't understand what is so terrible about it? It gets my email, I can send email, i can attach pictures, I can read email. It works. Are you expecting it to write your emails for you or do something magical? :D

5. f00f macrumors 65816

Do you get banner notifications (Notification Center) when new mails arrive? Can you have more than one account configured? I don't see these items in the description of the app, & I'm pretty sure they are major gripes.

Oh and it does look very much like a UIWebView despite being a "native" app.

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've accepted that if I want a good email experience, I need to move back to Android. :/ Just as simple as that.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They disagree with you, have been happy with the standard mail app, and will thus begin to rate your comment(s) down. It has already begun. Apple didn't make it, so it sucks. Didn't you get the memo?:rolleyes:

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree. Set up as exchange I have been pretty happy. It may have its shortcomings, but none of them really matter to me. I don't have multiple accounts, I don't use this email for business, I don't need anything more fancy. Not to mention, the native app cannot be deleted so an additional app would need a butt-ton more functionality to make me want to use it.

10. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

when you delete the email on the app does it delete of the gmail server i hate having those archives

11. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I tried this app for a little bit, but I didn't see the use of it. the native app works just fine for me.

12. Almy macrumors 6502

Go into your settings and turn archiving off. Then they get deleted instead. Other than that I'm in the camp that isn't interested yet either, the lack of banner notifications alone keep me from even trying it.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yup.. and i feel like it handles emails better than blackberry.

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use the gmail app and like it, but I have 25k messages and 100s of labels. The mail app on the iPhone is simply lacking for me.

15. webwbr macrumors member

Agreed... at least iOS has spell check. On Android you better hope predictive text figures it out for you.

16. Heifzilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Heifzilla

I'm not one who needs three different email accounts, but I can understand that aspect of it for some people.

I don't care about banner notifications, either. I can see that I have new emails by the badge icon on the app. But if someone gets a crapton of emails a day and lives and dies by the notification center, I can see the issue.

I think it looks pretty good compared to the Android version that I had with my Shift, it's cleaner and snappier. So for me, this is a great app and I am very happy with it. Also, one of the biggest issues I have with the native email app is that I cannot attach images easily, so the Gmail app wins hands down for me on that aspect, too.

I understand it's not for everyone, I just didn't understand the hate that I've seen for it, it's not *that* bad, LOL

Heif

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Decent GMail... one of the few things I miss from my Android phone. Mail is OK, this thing is an abomination.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My biggest pet peeve is not being able to attach something to an email. Sure, you can email from an app, but including an attachment in a simple reply is beyond the world's most popular smartphone. And forget about attaching two different kinds of files from two different apps! This is more a function of a lack of access to the file system, which is another pet peeve of mine, but that's the subject of another thread.... :D

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Out of everything, I've noticed I miss this feature most after using a Droid for a year.

20. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I noticed the lack of filesystem access and integration too, you have to go into an app to do anything, i.e. you can't upload to Facebook from the Camera app. A small peeve I think overall. I have found that the Dropbox app for iPhone can generate links from any folder, which is great for emailing stuff, as no more annoying attachments...