Official GSM iPhone unlock in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jent, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have been reading a lot about official iPhone unlocks (read: not unofficial unlocks that require a jailbreak), and a lot of people have commented that the reason AT&T will give unlock codes for any of its phones except the iPhone is that the iPhone is wholly exclusive to AT&T. With the iPhone coming out on Verizon in a few days, this will no longer be true. Is there an increased possibility that AT&T will thus offer official unlocks for its iPhones in the U.S.? It may be wishful thinking, but if you have knowledge on the matter, please contribute! If you just want to speculate, feel free to create a separate thread. I'd love to read the insight that people familiar with the carriers and iPhone have to say. Thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing official yet has been said so noone knows.
    All answers you will get would be speculation or guesses btw.
    Would be nice to get an official unlock but I doubt it will happen any time soon though.

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

One thing to note is that AT&T's network is different (incompatiable) tech from Verizon's. so at the moment, magic 8 ball says "outlook not so god"

4. Vizin macrumors 6502a

The only other US nationwide GSM network is T-Mobile, and the iPhone's 3G doesn't work with T-Mobile's 3G network due to frequency differences. An officially unlocked iPhone would be trapped on the very slow Edge network. Apple probably wouldn't want this since Edge provides a frustrating experience. (As original iPhone owners, current T-Mobile unlockers, and rural AT&T customers know)

I don't think we'll see an official way for iPhone customers to use T-Mobile US unless they come out with a T-Mobile specific iPhone that uses the right frequencies.