Official (ha ha) Target Pre-Order Thread (14.4% off!)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Sep 19, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Others have posted this already, but I believe Target.com has the best current discount available for the iPod Touch.

There is a 10% discount code (TGTAFLAF), plus you can also get 4.4% cashback if you join FatWallet (free to join), which drops my 8GB Touch to just under $260- close to what the 8GB 2G Nano came out at. Also free shipping, the only extra is you will probably pay sales tax (which you'd pay at Apple Store or Best Buy anyway.) Here are the details on their forum-

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/765652/

Only negative is that their web site currently says 'Arriving in 2 to 6 weeks'. But they are a big retailer and will probably get them sooner than later. Plus this gives some time for Apple to announce a solution/resolution to the screen issue.

Did anyone else order from them? I am wondering if anyone has any info on when Target will actually get units in.

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

In all likelihood Target will start shipping ipods at the very beggining of October, so this is definitely a hot deal.

Be aware that you will have to pay sales tax, and even though the ipod shows free shipping on the Target web page, once the coupon is applied you will have to pay $5.50 or so in shipping, which they will not refund, you lose the free shipping promotion if you use the 10% off coupon.

Still, with Fat Cash it's a tasty deal. For me, after Fat Cash rolls in it will end up costing about $365 for 16GB iTouch. That's $34 less than Amazon and $50-60 less than buying it locally.

3. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I will need to go back to double-check, but I'm pretty sure they gave me free shipping.

The shipping charge was $5.40, but then there was a line item for a $5.40 discount to cancel it out.

EDIT- When you go to the product page for the Touch's, it says 'FREE SHIPPING' in red, so it must be a special discount for the iPods. Many of the other iPods also are listed with a free shipping offer.

EDIT #2- I did confirm via my online receipt that I got free shipping- maybe I got lucky? My order was $269.99 plus $22.27 tax, for a total of $292.26. The Fatwallet cashback won't come til later (4.4%)

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Weird. I called them when i did my order and shipping charges showed up. I guess i will need to call them back and get my beer and nacho money back.

5. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Hmmmm, still plan on buying at Costco, because I'm not really willing to wait 2-6 weeks, but if I decide to upgrade to 16gb, it's tempting (if there are still 10% offers around).

$400-$40(10%)-$20(5%)=about $340, only $40 more than the 8gb. Target has a 90 day return policy (i think), but also a 15% restocking fee, so I'd be careful ordering until the screen issue is fixed.

Interesting offer, but with the screen issue and the waiting time for shipping, I'll stick with a physical retailer for the moment and make a decision about upgrading later.

Added: I must say, its great to live in a state with no sales tax!

6. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Or maybe they can just buy you some beer and nachos from their in-store restaurant.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Solid!

I could also probably just cancel the other order and place a new one as they've apparently got it fixed now.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

update.

That's just what I did... cancelled my 1st order and placed a 2nd one. Now the shipping is also discounted.

Assuming Fat Cash comes through on this, final cost will be $359 including tax.

9. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool, maybe you can actually buy me beer and nachos-

Our price is basically the same as the Classic models, which is nice.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Yes Smithers, it's very nice indeed.

Actually I feel like $349 IS what the 16GB should cost, so I feel better paying just a bit more than that for it. It also means less of a hit when you re-sell the 1st gen Touch for a 2nd gen Touch or 2nd gen iPhone in a year or so.

Hopefully Target gets a big enough allotment in the next week to start getting these out.

It's also extremely unlikely at this point that they would get an older batch, something I am not so sure about with Costco.

11. jelloyacket macrumors member

I can verify that just applying the promo code still gives you free shipping.

12. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Yeah, but they make up for it somewhere!

13. ds252 macrumors regular

How long do you know or think this promo will last for?

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Not sure, on fatwallet there's no indication of when the promo expires. Having said that I gave up the Fat Cash and opted to get my local BB to match the $359 price. I'm out a few extra bucks but have the satisfaction of actually knowing that I got a week 38 unit that works, etc.

Might still use this deal to buy my little sister the 8GB Touch for $250 after Fat Cash.

15. ibuprofane macrumors newbie

After pre-ordering from Apple and canceling that order because of the screen issues, I pre-ordered from Target on Thursday and got the shipping notice today (I assume it'll leave Monday via UPS). I'm glad Target processed my order when they did, an hour later and I would've been buying from BB for ~$50 more. :eek:

I'm hoping for a week 38 model (or revised week 37).

16. bogman12 macrumors regular

You can return the Ipod at any local target stores, so if it's a bad week, you can always take it back there.

17. plasticmoz macrumors regular

Wait, Best Buy are matching an in-store price vs a competitor's online price WITH a coupon ??

Please explain.

18. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Hmm, yes, this is interesting to me as well. I just got a 16 GB from Best Buy and paid around $420 or so with tax, but if I can get one for $360 instead in-store, then that's definitely something I want to do. I might just go ahead and order online from Target and return the one I have now whenever it comes in.

19. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

What is there to explain ... whether or not they are supposed to do that that's what they did.

Oh ya, my Target one shipped too. So now I've gotta decide which one to take back.

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I ordered mine online Thursday and it just shipped. Target must have gotten a pile of them in today.

21. bogman12 macrumors regular

I just returned my W37 at Best Buy today and ordered online at Target for $388 incl tax instead of $434!! that's a good amount of savings I would say!

I already had my Touch for a week so the high and novelty has wore off a bit, I can wait a couple more weeks for another one. Hopefully, by then it won't have a screen problem.

22. matias1021 macrumors member

just curious, did you have to prove its defectiveness and go through a lot or did they accept the return without even having to show anything....

cause im thinking of doing the same as you...

23. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Best Buy has a 30 day return policy on most items. It doesn't have to be defective, you can return it if you don't like it. It probably needs to be in decent shape and whatnot, you have to have the original box and other stuff, etc.

I returned my Best Buy Touch over a week ago because of the screen. I was going to wait to order again, but pre-ordered from Target because they weren't going to ship for awhile anyway (enough time to sort things out, which they now seem to be.)

24. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Now I have to decide whether I want to keep the Week 38 touch that I got at BB for $359 or save another $20 and keep the Target one.

I'm sorely tempted to actually compare the two, especially if the Target one is a week 39.

I've got the names of two individuals at Target who said I will not be charged a restocking fee if I return it, so it's going to be hard to resist opening that box when it shows up.

25. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Let me get this straight.

You get the 10% Target discount, then the 4.4% FatWallet discount, then tax, then shipping. Is this correct?