***--- OFFICIAL | How to have a flashlight when LED is broken *sticky please* ---***

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by K2Valor, Jun 29, 2010.

1. K2Valor macrumors member

Facetime with your friend

Have your friend shine a real flashlight into the camera

The beam should be transferred over the internet and come out of your camera

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

3. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

??

4. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Dude I just tried this with my friend and it worked amazingly!

5. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

This is not a joke... Try it seriously. I thought he was kidding at first but it was crazy!

6. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

Well I tested it before I posted the thread (of course) and the beam transfer is near perfect. You capture about 99% of the photon rays in the internet transfer, and lose about 1% of the photons as heat energy (you can feel the extra heat on your hand). Other than that it works very well as a flashlight.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

This 9th law of physics that you are demonstrating is what keeps me off of chat roulette.

8. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Yeah the loss of 1% photon rays did not really bother me that much. If you have a good wifi connect it is even a little less.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Or you can just open up a blank (i.e. white) web page. All white is the brightest light that the screen can produce. It doesn't matter if it's a web page, or someone shining a flashlight at you over FaceTime, or someone doing a FaceTime call with you from the surface of the sun.

10. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's the only bad part about it. It's a wi-fi only flashlight. Apple should really advertise the flashlight capability as wi-fi only, I bought the phone expecting my flashlight to work over the 3G network (as you don't usually get wi-fi when travelling through underwater caves)

11. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

Actually when viewing a webpage the photon loss percentage increases at an exponential rate of A=10e^(.9)(t) with t being the amount of seconds used. The flashlight is good at first, but it's power decreases as you need it more.

12. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

This is simply not the case. The actual beam from the flashlight carries over and will shine all the way across the room with the flashlight menu.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

You guys are just way too smart and/or cool for me.

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Well, if it works, cool...but when I need a flashlight, I'm not gonna go hunting for a friend who has an iP4, is in a WiFi hotspot, has a flashlight handy, and is gonna bother to help me at what is likely a late hour of the light.

15. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Yeah I can't wait for a jailbreak so we can use it over 3g as well. I was very disappointed at first but I am usually in wifi range so I can wait for a jailbreak

16. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

+1

17. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Me and my friends all decided to carry around flashlights in our pockets in case one of the other needs us to beam it to them over wifi on the iPhone4 via facetime.

18. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

WTF? When there is live ammunition under your pillow and there is a robber coming in the door and YOU DON'T HAVE A LIGHT TO LOAD YOUR GUN, what can you rely on other than the facetime-flashlight (copyrighted for future app, please don't use). Seriously man, be realistic.

BTW, can we make this a sticky?

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

lol...but now I'm kinda scared to assume you're kidding.

20. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I wonder if I piss into the iPhone 4 it'll come out the other end via FaceTime?

21. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

I'm not. I use to be a boyscout and they always told me "Safety first". I am not going to be caught without a good wifi flashlight if someone tries to rob me at night.

22. K2Valor thread starter macrumors member

That's impossible.
    Photons are the only thing that travel through the internet (it just so happens that Apple has implemented a photon regeneration rate to match the degredation rate, maximizing photon capacity and sustainability)

23. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

According to the 802.11 wireless protocols this would be impossible. The only reason that the flashlight works is because the photons directly interact with the iPhone 4's high tech retina display. Protocol 3657 allows for this transfer to happen over any 802.11 wireless signal.

24. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Post of the day. I seriously just died of laughter.