Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sexy Patrol

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Chico, CA
12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB of RAM and an 80GB Hard Drive. I work her pretty hard and she performs beautifully. I edit video on a regular basis, as well as use Office 2004, lots of web surfing, etc. Performs infinitely better than my friends PC notebooks. More and more of them are getting PowerBooks :D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i love my baby, even though its not the fastest/newest, i still love it... it good for what i need it to do... go on MR ;)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Ok I'll join in.

I love my Rev. D. Despite the fact that I have now noticed white spots, and the dents that I have cause, and possibly the little itty bitty warping happening.

All in all, I love it.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I love my PowerBook. I don't do any graphics or video work so the G4 in it is plenty powerful except for the occasional flight in X-Plane, but it runs that fine, just not all maxed out. I also frequently use the S-video out to play movies/TV shows on an actual TV. The only thing that has given me any trouble with it in the almost 2 years that I have had it was the hard drive. So I just upgraded to a better one.:D

I have a revision B/C (depending on how you count it, released in April 2004) 15" Aluminum Powerbook. It is the one just before the scrolling trackpad and dual link DVI. SideTrack makes up for the trackpad thing.

1.5Ghz
Radeon 9700 w/128Mb video ram
1.25Gb ram
recently upgraded 80Gb 7200rpm HD

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
i really dont want a laptop over 13"...i hate those huge 15 and 17 inch laptops...they suck for portability IMO. I'll stick with my powerbook for now, at least until next year. It's doing great other than the slight dent I caused last week when I dropped it...oops.

However, give me a Core Duo Mac Mini and I will buy it in a heartbeat...would like a mac in the house with some really good processing power.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
Im glad i have my new powerbook. it is getting through college and i love it. sure its no longer the fastest mac notebook, but it never was the best laptop overall but we still loved it. its the last among the line of the last true mac processors

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
Nice thread... I'm for one holding on to my faithfull ol' PowerBook. Not anymore the fastest of beasts but with a 100 percent track record since purchase, that's what I require. Wake up and go... no downtime :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well I love my TiBook! The oldest of the Powerbooks on this thread so far, apparently, but, in my heart, the best! When I get the Al Powerbook (in sig) in February, I'll retire the Ti as a desktop machine, but she'll always be special.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Keeping up with the joneses... bouncing the i love pb thread!

Just like the cube, a great product worth hanging on to!

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
powerbook is my god. simply put, this is the best computer i've ever owned. and that includes the powerhouse recording studio pc that i built a few years back. but what's ever sweeter than the powerbook by itself is having a 40" sony lcd hdtv with computer inputs on it. so i can sit on the couch with my apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard. :)

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I love my BLACK (yes, black) 15" October 2005 model. And honestly, as far as the MBP is concerned, when it comes out, yes, tons of people will have more powerful machines than I will, but you know what? A year and a half or two years down the road, I'll buy a new laptop, and then I'll have the more powerful machine for a little while. Then, someone else's upgrade cycle will come out, and surpass me again. Such is the way of things. Life is way too short to constantly be worrying about upgrades. Good night!

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Rev. B 12" 1 GHz PowerBook (DVI, 9-2003 release, purchased 11-2003). It has done everything I have needed (besides some proprietary Windows software) for the past two-plus years. I immediately put in a 512MB RAM upgrade to 768MB. I sent it in for a HDD failure just before two years was up and had it back within the week -- Thank You Applecare -- and replaced the battery. The keyboard is a dream to type on, the one "regular" keyboard I'm happy to use -- the rest of the time I'm lost without an ergonomic split-key keyboard!

I'm afraid I'm beginning to outgrow it though, unless I put in some upgrades: much bigger HDD, and bump the RAM to 1.2GB. I keep having to offload projects to an external drive, and find that I'm maxxing out the RAM at times.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
joepunk said:
Ok I'll join in.

I love my Rev. D. Despite the fact that I have now noticed white spots, and the dents that I have cause, and possibly the little itty bitty warping happening.

All in all, I love it.

I feel exactly the same about my rev A. I'm typing around the spots, forgetting about the lid warp as much as possible ... and worrying less about the case. Its odd, but I get this feeling that I don't really have to worry about every little scratch anymore... as if the defects kinda make it ok to not be so obsessive. Either I'm getting old, or this powerbook has made some kind of odd connection with me.

Its like an older pet, not as spry as it used to be, but just as willing - and a bit more experienced to boot. I don't remember thinking the same thing about my Pismo back in the day... odd.

(wow, what did this thread bring out in me? )

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
xPismo said:
I feel exactly the same about my rev A. I'm typing around the spots, forgetting about the lid warp as much as possible ... and worrying less about the case. Its odd, but I get this feeling that I don't really have to worry about every little scratch anymore... as if the defects kinda make it ok to not be so obsessive. Either I'm getting old, or this powerbook has made some kind of odd connection with me.

Its like an older pet, not as spry as it used to be, but just as willing - and a bit more experienced to boot. I don't remember thinking the same thing about my Pismo back in the day... odd.

(wow, what did this thread bring out in me? )
You should see my cell phone. It is a Nokia 3285. It's got a nice crack in the screen, battery shifts/wiggles which cause the thing to turn off, I have to reset the time occasionally, the screen would go blank while the phone is still on, etc. Oh, and I stuck a sticker on the back.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Best Mac I ever owned!

Great thread!

I love my Rev D 12" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook with 1.25 gig ram and 100GB HDD.

I use Adobe CS2, Macromedia Studio 8 and Corel Painter IX on it plugged into a 17" LCD monitor and it performs flawlessly. I've always owned Mac laptops and this one, with out a doubt, has been the best I ever had. My Powerbook is my constant companion.

I travel overseas several times a year and having a 12" is a blessing. I don't see the point in a huge laptop, especially when there are so many good external monitors out there.

I'm not bitter about the Intel switch at all. I believe Apple are doing the right thing by going forward with technology, but there's no way I'm getting a first revision of that new technology either. I'm hoping Apple will eventually have at least a 13.(something)" model and then I'll consider it when it gets to around a Rev C.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
Lacero said:
I won't partaking in this appreciation thread as I look angrily at my PB 12" and wishing she was thinner and better looking. I hate you PB!

Here's to the Crazy Ones

No! don't confirm society's idea of beauty! She's looks good just as she is.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I love my Powerbook too..
I've done everything to it (to max it out) except the hard drive.. thats where i just use external hard drives.

Its great... does everything i want it to do..
And best of all is that its stable.

I used my PC the other day and it couldn't multi-task at all.. I was sitting there waiting wondering if the program was going to crash and if i should End Task or not. I'm so glad i don't have to put up with that everyday.

Think this is a keeper... I havn't had any problems with it... so i'll just keep it until i have money for a 30" Al Cinema Display and Duo Core PowerMacs

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Lacero said:
I won't partaking in this appreciation thread as I look angrily at my PB 12" and wishing she was thinner and better looking. I hate you PB!

Here's to the Crazy Ones
How dare you Lacero!!

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I love my WallStreet. (And I think I just took the lead for "oldest PB in this thread"). I do have a 17" on order, but the WS has been my main computer for almost 7 years, which makes it the reigning champion, the Mac that has been my primary Mac longer than any of its predecessors. And by far the Mac that I've been most pleased with.

Original specs — 8 gig HD, Mac OS 8.1, 300 MHz G3, 128 MB RAM, DVD/CD player (no burning).

Final specs — dual 60 gig 7200 RPM HDs (one in expbay), MacOS X 10.3.8, 500 Mhz Sonnet G4, 512 MB RAM, 24x CDRW or DVD/CD player (switchable modules). External 2nd screen extended desktop via VillageTronic card.

This cute little laptop spanned a lot of changes. Last Mac to be able to accept a Type III PCMCIA card. One of the last Macs to be able to boot from a floppy. One of the last Macs capable of LocalTalk networking or printing to a classic serial port printer. Yet capable of booting the latest build of Tiger; with the right cards, can do Airport, USB 2, FireWire. Not since the original 68000-chip-powered Macs has there been a model that can natively boot such a wide range of vintages of MacOS.

oregonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
PB newbie

I should be getting my refurbished 12" powerbook on monday...ordered directly from Apple. I was thinking of returning it for a refurbished ibook, but that just seems like too much trouble...plus who knows when they will put more ibooks up.

Can't wait to get it and join the club!

Currently typing in XP :(

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
oregonic said:
I should be getting my refurbished 12" powerbook on monday...ordered directly from Apple. I was thinking of returning it for a refurbished ibook, but that just seems like too much trouble...plus who knows when they will put more ibooks up.

Can't wait to get it and join the club!

Currently typing in XP :(

Congratulations!

If you can, post pictures of it when you get it. Welcome. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.