Official iPhone Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 9, 2009.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

This is to completely stop all confusion and outrage.

iPhone 3G 8GB $99 (black)
    iPhone 3GS 16GB $199 (black or white)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB $299 (black or white)

This price is for current AT&T customers that are out of their 2 year contract or are new customers to AT&T. People who bought the 3G iPhone last year still have 1 year left so they cant get subsidized price.

iPhone 3G 8GB $299 (black)
    iPhone 3GS 16GB $399 (black or white)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB $499 (black or white)

This pricing is for people that want to upgrade to iPhone 3G or 3GS but are still under their 2 year contract. I don't no why these prices seem shocking to people because when the V1 iPhone came out it was even more expensive then this. (later dropped to these prices.)

iPhone 3GS 16GB 599 (black or white)
    iPhone 3GS 23GB 699 (black or white)

These prices are the price you will pay if you buy an iPhone without years of your precious life sold off to a wireless carrier like it's a cheap piece of meat.

People upgrading from V1 to 3G got the subsidized price because they didn't buy the V1 iPhone for a subsidized price so you still qualified for a phone at a subsidized price.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Most of you probably already knew this but I thought I would type it anyway. Feel free to add.

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

WRONG.

I am getting quoted 599 and 699 and yet, I fall under your guidelines for 399 or 499.

For the umpteenth time.

It is on an account by account basis.

And I know for FACT they can waive prices and give you a subsidized price if they want to. They can do it so many times a year.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G 8GB $299 (black)
    iPhone 3GS 16GB $399 (black or white)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB $499 (black or white)

I qualify for these prices and I still have over a year left on my contract

4. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats wierd my phone can upgrade to the subsidized price 199 because I got the V1 my dad can upgrade to 3GS for 399 but has never owned an iPhone. His contract ends in less then 6 months. I think people under 18 months pay the full and more then 18 months pay 399, 499.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

so if we go to an ATT CSR and complain enough, we get the subsidy?
    ok, who wants to go be lab rats?

6. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

I Have A Year Left ......299.00 For A 32gb.....only At July 12.....

7. Boiler macrumors regular

How?

I have a year left, 299 on March 16, 2010

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As someone pointed out, its not that straight forward. It is determined on an account by account AND line by line basis. It has to do with how long you have been on your contract, what your last phone upgrade was, how much you pay each month, payment history, etc etc.

There are no black and white lines, and the only way to know is to contact AT&T personally and find out what applies to you.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

So which is the official iPhone pricing? This thread or this thread? :D

10. earlycuyler macrumors member

I haven't upgraded or made any changes to my account since January '08. I am not currently an iPhone owner. I just checked my account and ATT says I am not eligible for upgrade pricing until 10/20/09. However, the upgrade screen also says that I am eligible for a discount when upgrading to iPhone (only) and I get the following prices:

iPhone 3G 8GB $299
    iPhone 3GS 16GB $399
    iPhone 3GS 32GB $499

I don't really understand why my normal upgrade is scheduled for 21 months out.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As I pointed out in post #8, it depends on how much you pay every month, what your last upgrade was, payment history, etc etc. There is really anything to figure out other than that's what AT&T says. It can be anywhere from 12 months in to 24 months in.

12. earlycuyler macrumors member

That seems to be true, but I can't peg the factors they use to set the upgrade eligibility. I am a long time customer (~10 years). My bills are fairly large and are always paid on time. My current phone (which is the one I bought with a subsidy in Jan '08) was one of the cheapest models at the time and the subsidy only saved me around $100.

I would think those things would make me eligible for an upgrade before 21 months have passed.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, I don't know the exact factors that they use. You might be able to call them an straight up ask why it is so long.

14. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

Even if you have a high MRC on your combined account, each line is evaluated to determine your Eligible Upgrade Date or the Early Upgrade Date that started with the arrival of the iPhone 3G last year on a per-line basis. So if you happen to have your iPhone on an add-a-line then you can expect to see the 21 month upgrade date for example.

Here is the link with the AT&T Pricing options: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574#tab4

Dave

16. earlycuyler macrumors member

Would it be so even if I don't already have an iPhone on either line?

I currently have a two-line plan. (One phone is already eligible for upgrade, but, alas, the line I use is not.) The line that I use generates 75% or more of the total usage on the account.

17. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

The prices differ from account to account. My brother and I purchased iPhone 3G's on launch day. He is eligible for a fully subsidized price on 7/12/09, while I am not eligible until 3/10/10.

Meanwhile, neither of us is eligible for the $499, 32gb early upgrade pricing. We both only qualify for the $699 pricing.

The only difference between our accounts (we're on the family plan), is that my brother has unlimited texting. I called AT&T and they confirmed this.

Apparently, they're recouped their cost through his texting plan over the last year, so they're offerring him the subsidized pricing.

However, I was able to call AT&T and qualify for the July 12th subsidy price by threatening to cancel my account and buy the Palm Pre. I was tossed around to a number of managers, but they eventually made my account eligible.