Official MacRumors Nike+ November 2008 Challenges

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by QCassidy352, Nov 3, 2008.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, so activity and discussion on these challenges has really died down recently, but since August is the most current thread, I thought we could use a new one.

We can still push for that 25,000 mile goal. Don't let the cold keep you inside. ;) Let's keep running strong until the end of the year!

For myself, I raced for the first time since Boston a week ago and came in 4th in a 5k. Now I'm trying to up my milage and intensity and get myself back in to some kind of respectable shape. :) How about you all??

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Good work on the 4th place.
    Work has hindered my running.
    Hard getting back into it.
    Fitness has dropped right off, really pushing to make 3km.
    Hopefully I get back to 5k and 10 k runs soon.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks, it feels good to race again. I am trying to get back in to racing more. But I am working a lot too, so I see where you're coming from with that one. I think consistency is key. Just get out there on a regular basis, even if you can't go that far. Good luck making it work!

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for making this thread. i think we all need it.

congrats on the 5k. you're doing more than i'm doing, and i don't have a job (though trying to find a job, is a job in itself).

for me though, i am slowly trying to get back into running. i made a push a while back, but that didn't last, and i'm back at the drawing board again. i just need to make out a schedule and stick to it.

hang in there. i know work makes running really hard, but you can do it. even if it's short runs, that's okay, as long as you keep at it.

5. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

still been running ran everyday in october expect for halloween i run at night and didnt want to deal with the *******s outside. Its getting a little tougher to run as the weather gets colder what do you guys do for the cold espically when its raining. Gonna probabaly have to stop running when its starts snowing or at least start running on tread mills, i hate treadmills.

6. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

I'm doing shift work so my body clock is all over the place (0230hours starts, a week later 1500hours starts), drains your energy.

At least with treadmills you can make long, steep hills:p
    My part of the world is getting warm now:), it's much harder to keep it going in winter. A few weeks of treadmill is better than nothing.

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

it's harder to train well in the winter, no doubt. Colder, fewer hours of sunlight, more comfort food around. But it's not impossible. Again, I think consistency is what's key. Make it automatic - you don't think about whether you're going to brush your teeth, do you? You just do it, even if it's inconvenient.

Just get out there every day, even if it's for 10 minutes. Get to the point where your body "itches" on a day when you don't run - then you're all set.

8. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

Im already at that point lol i dont run anymore the days before i workout legs at the gym as I trying to improve my lifts and i feel so weird not running

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well that can be a good sign. just try to keep getting out there, even if it's shorter runs

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, I agree that it's a good sign. You want running to be a part of your routine. If you think about how little of a commitment 10 minutes is, it shouldn't be hard to do that every day.

I don't know - maybe it's just me, but IMO the way to get better at running (and to lose weight, if that's what you want to do) is to just make it a part of your lifestyle, something that's just automatic in your day. Because once you start taking days off, it gets really easy for them to pile up really quickly.

11. NickNoVA macrumors newbie

NickNoVA

I'm currently unemployed too. And you're right about the energy it takes to find something in today's economy. It is a full time job just trying to find something!

As for motivation to everyone. I just recently started a 5k training program using the Nike+ coach utility. I'm doing the intermediate level and I think that is good for me. This thing actually tells you how long to run on what day and some additional details. I think Nike hit a homerun with this whole Nike+ site. Really good stuff.

Thought that I'd point that out to everyone, it seems to keep me motivated so it might help someone else!

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, the job market is tough right now.

glad the nike+ coach is working for you. i might try it out sometime

13. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I haven't tried the nike+ coach. Is it supposed to be able to coach experienced runners, too?

14. NickNoVA macrumors newbie

NickNoVA

Yes, at least I think so. There are a few different difficulty levels (beginner, intermediate, etc...) and there are multiple distances to train for. They have a walk to run, 5k, 10k, Half Marathon, Marathon and your own custom that you make.

So ideally you can make it as challenging as you want to. Hope this helps!

15. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm starting to look towards my second marathon, and will check out the nike+ program for it. Thanks for sharing.

Hope everyone is still getting out there with the colder weather starting to roll in. Up in Boston, the trails are getting covered in leaves, and soon snow, but I still love fall running in New England.