Official MMS App for iPhone: iMMS by Vodafone Portugal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheJackal, Jan 15, 2009.

1. TheJackal macrumors member

I sent off this bit of news to Macrumors yesterday but it seems they either haven't read my e-mail or don't think this is too important. Anyway, I wanted to share this with everyone!

It seems we've now got an official (the first?) MMS application for the iPhone. As in official I mean "officially" supported by a mobile phone carrier, Vodafone Portugal. Its called iMMS and as its developed by Vodafone Portugal, it will only work on their network.

It works sort of like the Mail app as in all MMS messages are stored on the Vodafone servers and iMMS will connect to check for new messages. When a new MMS is received, the network will send a "Flash SMS" to the subscriber notifying him/her that a new MMS has arrived,

iMMS on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299314196

2. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Still not ideal - it's a workaround, which is why they have to send a text telling you to go into the app, rather than proper implementation of the published MMS standard.

Phazer

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

There is also an MMS app on the store for O2 using the O2's native web MMS feature. You can get credit for the app and send your own MMS messages.

5. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

sure is not ideal like MMS on my Sony Ericsson t610.. but maybe this app made by phone operators (and palm pré) challenges Apple to do some good stuff

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

T Mobile of Germany also has there own MMS app.

Btw, I recently emailed AT&T asking them if they had plans for making their own MMS app and they said that they are not in the business of making software. Now, this person may not know what they are talking about, but if they do, then this presents a huge possibility for an outside developer. If someone wants to hit a homerun and develop an app that can handle incoming mms from the AT&T network, they could possibly make millions of dollars. All they would have to do is make a viewmymessage work around. One that if you click on the link, it automatically takes you to the image, not that blasted site. This app would not need to be able to send mms, as this is already possible (with flutter).