Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I love it. :D :D :D

I don't see anything wrong with anything presented. The prices are reasonable. The hardware is fine. Could they have been more extreme? Could they have been more exciting? Yes, certainly. Couldn't they have been all that at these prices? No.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
the only thing that really pisses me off is people bitching about the graphics in the mini. seriously, no one in the market for a $500 computer is going to need anything special for graphics. and its not just the mini, i am sick of seeing nothing on these forums but bitching about graphics cards, i mean, come on, how many of you actually need a powerful gpu? if so, by a powermac and quit bitching...

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
plinkoman said:
the only thing that really pisses me off is people bitching about the graphics in the mini. seriously, no one in the market for a $500 computer is going to need anything special for graphics. and its not just the mini, i am sick of seeing nothing on these forums but bitching about graphics cards, i mean, come on, how many of you actually need a powerful gpu? if so, by a powermac and quit bitching...

I partially agree with you. I totally agree with the Mac Mini GPU part. But I don't agree that people who want to play games on a Mac should have to buy a Pro-Mac. A normal PC-gamer might use $400 on GPU and $700 on the rest of the computer, because GPU is often the most important part when it comes to gaming. You cannot do this with Macs, and it's a shame! (and a good reason it will never take off. Most people who are put off by the Mac, are put off because they cannot play games on it. Most of the people I know, at least.)

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Poff:

Mac gamers are by now accustomed to paying $500 for a top-end graphics card to put in their $3000 Mac and having the machine perform exactly the same as it did before. ;) People 'round here whine way too much about graphics cards.

TheSith

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2004
m a y a said:
A silent update YES. A G5 powerbook is a BIG announcement, not a silent release on the site only. :)

Small speed bumps is all that is expected this or next week. :)

Thank you! lol

Question in addition to this: when they do that this week or next, will they be available immediately in an Apple retail store? I will be wanting to go out and buy one that day..

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
TheSith said:
Thank you! lol

Question in addition to this: when they do that this week or next, will they be available immediately in an Apple retail store? I will be wanting to go out and buy one that day..

Usually, Yes its almost available depending on the product, location and supply. However I would say it would take a week or less for it to appear in the stores to be safe. :)

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
m a y a said:
A silent update YES. A G5 powerbook is a BIG announcement, not a silent release on the site only. :)

Small speed bumps is all that is expected this or next week. :)

So given the wait for G5 Powerbooks, it's probably going to show up at WWDC, or if not, then next year's WWDC. I dont see PB updates during the consumer oriented MWSF.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
CubaTBird said:
TEH FLASH HAS NO EEEEQQQ, TEH NOO!!!>!111111 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
Good point, that is important to me, but are you sure it doesn't? I couldn't find any info about that on Apple's site but maybe it syncs the EQ setting from iTunes or lets you set another custom one or something.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Poff said:
Most people who are put off by the Mac, are put off because they cannot play games on it. Most of the people I know, at least.)
Most people are scared of the Mac cause they are misinformed and just scared of being isolated in a world dominated by Windows, most typical consumers do not care about games.

jon

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
iJon said:
Most people are scared of the Mac cause they are misinformed and just scared of being isolated in a world dominated by Windows, most typical consumers do not care about games.

jon

They also think Macs are still they were 10 years ago. Or I know some people who thinks only 'kids' use Macs because Macs were the computers we used (well at I did and others I know) in 3-6 grade or so. So in their minds, Macs aren't meant for "real-world" applications and tasks.

I think it's too bad that Macs have this reputation. I mean as soon as you say "Mac" to somone who is nieve about them they automatically go like, "But Macs can't do anything" : "Nothing works with Macs" : or my personal fav :rolleyes: "ehh Macs suck" (I could go on and on on the "reasons" they say Macs suck, but that's a whole another thread ;)) And oh yeah, there's the "you can't upgrade Macs". Ok I'll admit that for the most part the iMac, eMac and now the Mac mini aren't really upgradable, the Power Macs are fairly upgradably with regards to the HD, graphics card, RAM, optical drive?, and what not. Besides of people who say this about Macs, how many of them actually upgrade their PCs?

Ok I think I've gone off topic a bit too much ;)

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
plinkoman said:

I totally agree with this. This is not made for gaming, MOST people don't game, if occasionally some do then they can at v low pixels but hey it is better than an intel integrated shared vram.
The Mini will be massive, it is so perfect for people to replace their Dell Desktops at a silly price and add 300% more style and save 700% more space! 32mb gfx is more than enough for every day applications, but ooohhh nooo people won't be able to see the ripple in Tiger....!!!!;)
Also it is obvious MWSF was solely (pretty much) on consumer products. WWDC will see new anouncements of the Powermac and Powerbook (hell even a G5) or another conference. The non updating of the Powerbooks is maybe a good sign that a G5 Powerbook may be out in less than 6 months.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
TheSith said:
Okay WTF?

I've waited three months at LEAST for this stupid thing just for a small bump in the Powerbooks. NO, I didn't mind the bump - but now it isn't coming?

Someone answer me this, do NOT gloss over this question if you know: WILL there be more updates this week? Yes/no.

NO ONE can answer a question like that, except for Apple employees who wouldn't be posting product release dates on a RUMOR forum.

The easiest way to not get upset about things like this is to not put any stock into them. Rumors on the sites are peoples best guesses.... nothing more.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
I'm so pissed off that Apple didn't release an all-in-one PDA/MP3/cellphone/backscratcher that I'm going to sell all my Apple computers, buy a new top-of-the-line Dell/WinXP machine and then throw it out the window. Twice.

;)

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I was only dissapointed with no powermac update. I might just buy the 1.8 SP when I get the extra $180 AUD I need to buy it, I cant see myself needing more than 1.8GHz. (also im really desperate for a Mac now, and school is starting again. A computer for myself will help me get organised, Year 12...)

But, I am VERY dissapointed with the streaming video not working from stream.apple.akadns.net/. It opens up Quicktime, then says "400: Bad Request". I have the latest version, and I have re-installed it... help? :(

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
the only thing which would have been nice would have been adding the fx5200 because of core image compability into the mac mini (and yes i'm gonna buy one ..i'm asking other questions about it and recommendations in the buying tips section for configurations and additional soft/hardware.. advice is welcome there perhaps YOU know some answers ;) ) but thats not really a problem for me using the computer (same for _perhaps_ laptop hard drives being in it)

doesn't have the old appleworks (which ships with it) have a basic spreadsheet function ?

as for games: for the money i'm gonna save with buying a loaded up BTO mac mini instead the very basic powermac i'm gonna goy out and buy a pc motherboard+cpu+new mid-class graphicscard and will be playing games better and have mac nonetheless

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
tech4all said:
They also think Macs are still they were 10 years ago. Or I know some people who thinks only 'kids' use Macs because Macs were the computers we used (well at I did and others I know) in 3-6 grade or so. So in their minds, Macs aren't meant for "real-world" applications and tasks.

I think it's too bad that Macs have this reputation. I mean as soon as you say "Mac" to somone who is nieve about them they automatically go like, "But Macs can't do anything" : "Nothing works with Macs" : or my personal fav :rolleyes: "ehh Macs suck" (I could go on and on on the "reasons" they say Macs suck, but that's a whole another thread ;)) And oh yeah, there's the "you can't upgrade Macs". Ok I'll admit that for the most part the iMac, eMac and now the Mac mini aren't really upgradable, the Power Macs are fairly upgradably with regards to the HD, graphics card, RAM, optical drive?, and what not. Besides of people who say this about Macs, how many of them actually upgrade their PCs?

Ok I think I've gone off topic a bit too much ;)

you will be amazed at how true the statement is on the bad rep macs have. They are still paying the heavy price for there role screw up what 10-12 years ago when well late face it those macs in school rooms pretty much suck and in the real world macs lack heavy in software and the school computers oh good greif they where so unstable. The PCs I used at home those where things where amazing stable and reible compared to the macs I had access at school or the mac my mom had in her class room (which was only a year to year and half old but loaded with problems).

the question is did apple learn enough from those mistakes in the past. I honstly not sure and only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.