Official: New iPhone if bought after May 27th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isimon1207, Jun 9, 2008.

1. isimon1207 macrumors member

http://gizmodo.com/5014748/confirme...phone-after-may-27th-you-get-a-3g-iphone-free

"Do you plan on upgrading your now-obsolete iPhone on July 11th? Great—good for you big spender. Here's the skinny. AT&T informed us that anyone who bought an iPhone after May 27th will be able to swap out their handset with no additional charges for an iPhone 3G. What about everyone else? If you signed a 2-year contract with AT&T when the iPhone came out (which you pretty much had to), you'll have to sign another new 2-year contract to score a new iPhone 3G. The good news is that AT&T will allow you to overwrite your old contract with your new contract. In other words, you're just locked into another 2 years, not 3."

I just checked the receipt, Got mine May 26th...

Wow... just wow. Odd date Apple.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

3. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

They probably did it just to piss you off... If I were you I would be more pissed that I bought an iPhone two weeks ago and didnt pay attention to the "rumors" of the new phone.

4. witchdrash macrumors member

5. isimon1207 thread starter macrumors member

I know, I know. I mean really I am not dieing for the 3G. Although it is new and improved, it does not have many new features. I mean what is to mention besides GPS and 3G, and i dont have 3G in my area.

Its just mind-blowing that Apple chose that date, cmon Apple, kick it back a day or two...

Edit: By the way I was fully aware of every iphone rumor, I just decided to go ahead and buy an iphone because I didnt expect much improvement besides the obvious and GPS or video conferencing. I am no where near a 3G zone and I have no need for GPS or video conferencing so I think it was the right choice. I would be pissed if it had a better camera or better resolution but I can live with the origional.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So in essence, you paid $200-300 to have a iPhone an extra 6 weeks? They won't give you that much in credit to "upgrade" to the newer version.

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

My father bought his iPhone on like the 1st of June. His current phone died on him so he needed a phone as he has to keep in contact with work (but doesn't want to live with their restrictions). He decided on the iPhone knowing fully that a new iPhone was going to be announced. Had he waited he would be waiting more than a month without a phone...which is just plain unacceptable.

I thought after this announcement that this would mean I wouldn't be getting his old iPhone...but it turns out he's keeping to his promise, except he's swapping for a new iPhone and buying a separate one as a Birthday/Christmas gift.

The 27th is exactly 1.5 months (45 days) before the release of the new iPhone...that's probably why it was picked.

8. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

So you spend $400 and they "allow" you to trade it in for a $200 phone?

9. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

If you look at it simply by the numbers it doesn't make sense...but then you factor in the features...which are clearly better (I think the only thing that I was disappointed in was the plastic cover)...that changes things a bit...just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's not a better product.