Official penryn mbp black stripe screen problem thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacjac3, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jacjac3 macrumors member

Official penryn mbp black stripe screen problem thread.
    Post here if u have this problem.

[​IMG]

We should bring up this issue. Lets get apple to fix this problem!!
    2k + laptop should not have this issue

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

i don't think i have that problem - is there a good test file to download to check?

4. Nate4747 macrumors regular

My Penryn MBP doesn't have that issue, but my old SR model did have a slight pinch at the bottom. Not nearly as bad as yours seems to be, though.

Does your display looks grainy or hazy though? Mine just doesn't look right. Check my thread and let me know if yours looks strange too. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=458971

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I understand it's a reasonably wide occurrence rate - there's a discussion thread over at Apple concerning many owners. It appears to be an issue when plugging or unplugging the power cord during sleep, but differs for everyone.

I've had it happen once to mine, but it hasn't happened since after I reset my computer. I'll keep a watchful eye.

6. JuJu macrumors newbie

Same problem occurred to me. I took a few pics (see the one attached) the second time it happened to me. I took my mac to the local store and showed the pictures. The "genius" simply dismissed me by saying "This is the second time I've seen this. I don't think it's a hardware problem and I believe it's a software problem. So, there is nothing we can do now... You just have to wait for our software update. And it will be more helpful to us if you can recreate this problem and let us know how you do it..." Isn't that NICE??? You paid premium price for a faulty machine, which the "genius" cannot give you a good explanation!!!

Somebody apparently were lucky enough to have their macs exchanged due to the same problem. I'm just wondering how customers were treated differently depending on locations.

I'm from Cambridge, MA, by the way.

Attached Files:

7. BASE91 macrumors member

I would post my pics but my macbook with this problem is with the genius guys right now. The are going to try and recreate it.

A thread was already started but want to link to this one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=457156

Needless to say I am working with a genius and one of the techs and they agree this is a problem. Their lead genius and another guy "in the back" said this is just the way it is... Nice to see the lead guy lift a finger to help out. Like maybe reporting this up to their engineering guys? Maybe he was on a break...

Also, there is a thread started on the apple support forum. There is a link to that within the one above.

To all, POST, CALL, get apple's attention. They are making a lot of money right now and have the resources to fix this.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

So this only affects the Penryn models so far?

9. Dear Lisa macrumors newbie

finally!!

Hey- I had a similar problem and this fixed it.

1. Power down the macbook pro

2. Unplug and take out the battery

3. While the battery is out, hold the power button down for 15 seconds.

4. Put the battery back in.

5. Hold down the COMMAND, OPTION, R, and T keys down and press power. (this took a minute to figure out how to press all these keys at once! haha!) Keep holding down the COMMAND, OPTION, R, AND T down until you see the log-in screen.

6. Press CONTROL, SHIFT, and EJECT- one after the other and hold each one down while pressing the next. Once all three are being pressed at once- just let go of them all.
    -This is make the screen turn black. It resets the screen and puts the computer to sleep.

7. Move the mouse to wake up the computer and log-in.

That should do it!!! I hope it helps!!
    Dear Lisa is offline Reply With Quote

10. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I had this stage lighting problem once before.

Restarting my computer did the trick.

11. anzo macrumors newbie

this happen to my machine when it's cold

and guys
    this is could be solved easily
    just set one of your hot corners as "Sleep display"
    and move the mouse to turn it on again

12. P90Xfit macrumors regular