Official SDK thoughts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AppleMatt389, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AppleMatt389 macrumors regular

I was just thinking about the SDK and how Jobs said it would be for the touch as well. Albeit in a 'p.s.', but still he said the apps will work on a touch. Now considering the touch already doesn't have apps like mail and maps, what's to stop a 3rd party developer from making them and distributing them through the SDK?

So what I think Apple will do is make some applications iPhone exclusive, like a 3rd party mail app. Because if you can install this 3rd party mail app on the touch, the line they tried to draw by crippling the touch will be blurred. Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

:apple:Matt

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

To me, one of the major selling points of the iPhone is not Mail.app but, the PHONE. The iPod touch is never going to be a phone even if there are 3rd party software on it. Even if someone makes it into some Skype thing, you'll still need to be near a hot spot to use it so, how convenient is that? The iPhone is purchased over the touch for the Phone capabilities and I don't think having Mail.app on both devices is going to make it hard for someone to decide which device they want.

3. AppleMatt389 thread starter macrumors regular

Not entirely what I meant. I was using mail.app as an example. I mean, Apple is trying to differentiate the product lines by reducing the number of communication apps on the iPod compared to the iPhone. And it wasn't about deciding which device the consumer wants, I was asking what people think about how Apple will handle the SDK. Will all the 3rd party iPhone apps be available for touch since the touch is already crippled by Apple?

:apple:Matt

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My friend and I were speaking about the iSDK coming in february. Since jailbreak already gives the touch such amazing capabilities the SDK is not so necessary UNLESS apple takes jailbreakers into consideration. If not then the two will either coexist or jailbreak will die.

But as for 'official' apps I think they will be annoying like palm applications that you need to pay for or use a crappy trial version that either only works for a week or has VERY limited capabilities.

Finally, jailbreak is very elegant will apples solution allow us to download iApps directly from apple.com similar to iTunes or will we have to sync them through iTunes? Loads of intricacies that I'm interested in. We'll see soon enough.

5. dooyou macrumors regular

I dont't want to Jailbreak my Touch, but i just need the Mail.app. I hope it will be possible to download 3d party apps through the sdk in a few weeks...free or shareware....

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't think Apple is going to make it that easy to get Mail.app on your touch. If they wanted you to have Mail and Notes and Maps, they would have included it in touch in the first place.

7. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

I don't know why people doesn't want to jailbreak their iPods... as if they were going to lose their purity or something.

8. dooyou macrumors regular

Sure, but maybe they will selling a few apps through the itunes store. Or a 3d party mail app...lets see...

9. dooyou macrumors regular

In my opinion...i just buy apple products because everything is working fine (normally) and i have no anger with it...i will only use it...i will be far away from problems like i have had with my old windows computer....

...but i know, jailbreakin is easy and i can restore the touch..

(sorry, my english could be better)

10. CopyChief macrumors regular

I still believe the lack of mail.app on the touch has something to do with the contract with AT&T. AT&T/Yahoo mail IMAP doesn't work without an AT&T contract... I'm guessing Apple felt that without EDGE access, things like maps, weather and stocks were not as useful, so they left them off, and I don't think an SDK will change all that.

If the only way for Apps to be distributed is through iTunes, then it is unlikely that a 3rd party mail app would be certified. But I'm guessing (hoping?) whatever hole iTunes needs to install for the SDK could be exploited by our friendly team of jailbreakers.