Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't really hate the iPhone or Cingular... just can't justify spending $1000 to switch from an okay company "Sprint" with okay and real smartphones, "Treo" just to get hooked up with another okay service provider, "Cingular/AT&T" and get a phone that will eventually be as good and productive as the Treo. I know that the Treo cannot sync with iCal, iTunes, Address Book and the rest of Apple's apps but it sure as hell is a lot more practical then switching to Cingular.

And I am sick and tired of the iPhone this and that rumors... like the rest of the world forgot that Apple needs to unveil a new iPod, iMac, MacMini, .Mac service, and MacPro. I am pretty sure there is some rumor site out there making up information about a new Mac Ultra Portable, or an Apple TV Pro which may replace the MacMini.

And how many people out there are really going to dump their service provider to switch to Cingular just for the iPhone Rev A? How many are going to be reasonable and wait for it to really kick off and prove itself to be a worthy contender in the already over-saturated world of Celluar handsets? How many will wait 5 or so years for the phone to come off of AT&T's service and into the rest of the world?

There is better news than just the iPhone.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
you know you're in the iphone forum right. there may be better news than the iphone but that news certainly doesn't belong in here. and we've already heard everyones reason as to why they hate the iphone, we don't need another thread about it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
you know you're in the iphone forum right. there may be better news than the iphone but that news certainly doesn't belong in here. and we've already heard everyones reason as to why they hate the iphone, we don't need another thread about it.

Where else would I post info about the iPhone... whether I think it is good or bad news... not trying to be offensive but I don't see your point about posting it in this forum.

Just because you heard it all doesn't mean that I or someone else hasn't... sorry about posting this thread twice if it has already been done, besides... I was hoping this one leaned more towards the: "Enough already with the iPhone rumors and facts, what about the rest of the unfinished Apple business" side of the fence.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I don't really hate the iPhone or Cingular... just can't justify spending $1000 to switch from an okay company "Sprint" with okay and real smartphones, "Treo" just to get hooked up with another okay service provider, "Cingular/AT&T" and get a phone that will eventually be as good and productive as the Treo. I know that the Treo cannot sync with iCal, iTunes, Address Book and the rest of Apple's apps but it sure as hell is a lot more practical then switching to Cingular.

And I am sick and tired of the iPhone this and that rumors... like the rest of the world forgot that Apple needs to unveil a new iPod, iMac, MacMini, .Mac service, and MacPro. I am pretty sure there is some rumor site out there making up information about a new Mac Ultra Portable, or an Apple TV Pro which may replace the MacMini.

And how many people out there are really going to dump their service provider to switch to Cingular just for the iPhone Rev A? How many are going to be reasonable and wait for it to really kick off and prove itself to be a worthy contender in the already over-saturated world of Celluar handsets? How many will wait 5 or so years for the phone to come off of AT&T's service and into the rest of the world?

There is better news than just the iPhone.

Yay, someone else with some sense!

Jan 30, 2006
The point is that Apple fans (including myself) expect too much. We want new iMac, new MB (which have neen recently updates BTW), new Mac Mini, new Mac Pro (which were updates 1-2 months ago) and so on.

I mean, Leopard is going to be a great operating system, the problems is that we were expecting too much.
The iPhone is much like the iPod, it would make more people want to buy a Mac.

Just relax, updates would come, probably very soon.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yay, someone else with some sense!

I don't get this post :confused: Why is it that no one can post with sentences, complete thoughts, or even phrases that make sense nowadays?

The point is that Apple fans (including myself) expect too much. We want new iMac, new MB (which have neen recently updates BTW), new Mac Mini, new Mac Pro (which were updates 1-2 months ago) and so on.

I mean, Leopard is going to be a great operating system, the problems is that we were expecting too much.
The iPhone is much like the iPod, it would make more people want to buy a Mac.

Just relax, updates would come, probably very soon.

THe iMac, MacMini, and MacPro weren't updated 1-2 months ago.... I think that is what you said. The MacBook saw minor speed bumps as did the MBP and many on this site are still complaining about a yellowish tint in their new LED displays, other than a new chip set and a .04Ghz increase in speed, there wasn't much.

I am not expecting Apple to update everything fast. I am expecting rumor sites to give me news about the Macintosh world and the world of Apple, and maybe some tech news, not just four or five different articles about facts about the iPhone's parts. If I want facts I will go to a real news site... not a rumor site. Can we get the inside scoop on the other ten pieces of hardware and ten pieces of software that Apple manufactures...?

Does anyone else feel that the news about the iPhone is old, and beating a dead horse? I mean it is coming in a week... no other hardware is going in it so what you see is what you get... now how about some news on the second revision or the iPhone Nano, or something other than the regurgitated facts that have spread around the blog-o-sphere.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The title confused me. I thought you hated iPhone threads, not the iPhone itself.

The hype is more annoying than "Apple iPod/iPhone/aTV, Inc."

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I don't get this post :confused: Why is it that no one can post with sentences, complete thoughts, or even phrases that make sense nowadays?

THe iMac, MacMini, and MacPro weren't updated 1-2 months ago.... I think that is what you said. The MacBook saw minor speed bumps as did the MBP and many on this site are still complaining about a yellowish tint in their new LED displays, other than a new chip set and a .04Ghz increase in speed, there wasn't much.

I am not expecting Apple to update everything fast. I am expecting rumor sites to give me news about the Macintosh world and the world of Apple, and maybe some tech news, not just four or five different articles about facts about the iPhone's parts. If I want facts I will go to a real news site... not a rumor site. Can we get the inside scoop on the other ten pieces of hardware and ten pieces of software that Apple manufactures...?

Does anyone else feel that the news about the iPhone is old, and beating a dead horse? I mean it is coming in a week... no other hardware is going in it so what you see is what you get... now how about some news on the second revision or the iPhone Nano, or something other than the regurgitated facts that have spread around the blog-o-sphere.

I would say that, considering the importance that the iPhone is going to have for Apple, in revenue terms, every little change that they make can make a large difference in terms of Apple's stock, and is therefore quite important for Apple and Apple's fanbase/investors.

The tech world (as a whole) is not watching the MBP, MB, Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro anywhere near as closely as the iPhone. While we do get a lot of rumors about it, it's also what Apple is putting their energy into right now; there's nothing worth reporting in terms of Macs, I expect.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
I'm glad I'm already a Cingular customer, although if I wasn't, I would never switch providers for it, as good as it may turn out to be.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
Actually, your Treo should be able to sync with all the Mac apps. Just download the Missing Sync.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
not everyone is the same

A) I don't mind switching to Cingular. I have Alltel...which I'm not totally unhappy with, but I haven't been that impressed with them either. I'm just out of college, and in my first job. I'm still on my family's plan and I'm ready to take over my own bills. I've been waiting for the iPhone to change plans because I didn't want to sign a new contract before that.

B) I've had a crappy free phone that came with the plan for a long time. I've been wanting to get a smartphone, but I was never overly impressed with the phones on the market. It's not that they didn't do enough, it was that I wasn't very excited about having one. I'm definitely a computer power user, but as far as a smartphone goes, I just want to check my email, browse the web on occasion, play some music and take a picture or two. I don't need to be able to fully customize the OS and install lots of 3rd party apps. The iphone accomplishes everything I need, and it will sync with my Macbook Pro and iMac.

C) I enjoy technology. I like getting new cool gadgets. I don't spend much on anything else, so even though it's expensive, I can still afford it.

You've got to understand that everyone's situation is different. For me, it's the right thing. It might not be for everyone else.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I would say that, considering the importance that the iPhone is going to have for Apple, in revenue terms, every little change that they make can make a large difference in terms of Apple's stock, and is therefore quite important for Apple and Apple's fanbase/investors.

The tech world (as a whole) is not watching the MBP, MB, Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro anywhere near as closely as the iPhone. While we do get a lot of rumors about it, it's also what Apple is putting their energy into right now; there's nothing worth reporting in terms of Macs, I expect.

Very good point... it is going to be a make or break product for Apple in the near future... something new that Apple is venturing in... so it does carry more weight than the Mac linup which is a proven product and the iPod. So I will let that reason soak in. Thanks for the real and informative post... seriously... thanks for taking the time.

Darn good post... made me think about... :D

I'm glad I'm already a Cingular customer, although if I wasn't, I would never switch providers for it, as good as it may turn out to be.

I think as a cingular customer you will have to buy a new contract or cancel your old one anyway... I hear that there is no news on the plans yet but from an initial rumor on this site and other, Cingular customers who already had service would have to sign a new contract in addition to their old ones, or cancel their current contract if they didn't want two service plans and get the one that comes with the iPhone... in essence the same thing as changing service providers.

It was an early rumor... it could be wrong.

Screw the iPhone.:eek:

When its pay as you go, and boots linux, then i'll change my mind.

I like Linux and wished that Palm made an OS based on Linux instead of that darn Foleo... but the iPhone runs OS X... what more could you ask for... it's an OS with a vision and backed by a company that moves and shakes the tech industry.

Actually, your Treo should be able to sync with all the Mac apps. Just download the Missing Sync.

Yeah... I found out about it a few months ago, then I waited for Sprint to get the Palm 680 (there version is the 755p) so I can have a smaller Treo with MicroSD cards and mobile modem capability. I am going to get Missing Sync and get the next best thing to the syncing capabilities of the iPhone... which for me is a big thing. I don't like the way Palm OS syncs with my Mac... but with missing sync... it may just fix that problem.

A) I don't mind switching to Cingular. I have Alltel...which I'm not totally unhappy with, but I haven't been that impressed with them either. I'm just out of college, and in my first job. I'm still on my family's plan and I'm ready to take over my own bills. I've been waiting for the iPhone to change plans because I didn't want to sign a new contract before that.

B) I've had a crappy free phone that came with the plan for a long time. I've been wanting to get a smartphone, but I was never overly impressed with the phones on the market. It's not that they didn't do enough, it was that I wasn't very excited about having one. I'm definitely a computer power user, but as far as a smartphone goes, I just want to check my email, browse the web on occasion, play some music and take a picture or two. I don't need to be able to fully customize the OS and install lots of 3rd party apps. The iphone accomplishes everything I need, and it will sync with my Macbook Pro and iMac.

C) I enjoy technology. I like getting new cool gadgets. I don't spend much on anything else, so even though it's expensive, I can still afford it.

You've got to understand that everyone's situation is different. For me, it's the right thing. It might not be for everyone else.

Good points... but you don't have a service provider yet so you are fine. If you have already put some time into Sprint or Verizon or whoever and have worked up a slight relationship with your company it is a big thing. Cell companies do notice how long you have had their service and when a problem arises you can use it to get it fixed properly. My GF has been with Sprint for almost 8 years. There is no way she is switching and her bill still carries charges from 1999... like $2 insurance... while I pay almost $6 or something.

If I were in your shoes I would go with Cingular as well.

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
The iPhone will help the Apple brand. News sites have written about other products for years, I say let them get excited about Apple's new thing for now. Lastly, if Apple squeezed a new hot one of each product every few mounths then the quality would suffer and they would start to look more and more like HP and Dell.

You might have the means to want a scenario where Apple gives you buyers remose by comming out with a completely new and better version of what you bought just a few months ago but I would abandon Apple if they started to.

New and improved every 1-2 years with minor speed bumps along the way is what I prefer. Besides the rumour sites are often wrong so who cares if they are not filling your heads with false rumours, maybe there just isn't anything new to report now.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
i had a blackberry through AT&T for a week. Then my first bill showed up for $140 and I said no way in HELL. So I returned the phone.

Much as I'm not a fan of sprint, I'm doing a lot better with them with a Motorola Q (well, soon to be, right now I have a Treo 700WX) and a $34/mo plan for 500 min and unlimited data/unlimited text. The same thing AT&T was charging me $97/mo for.

For whomever said this, the 755p and the 680 aren't the same phone...same housing, but the 755 has much mroe powerful guts and some better features.

Jayrod

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Arizona

I am ditching my Verizon service that I have only had for about 7 months to get an iPhone on launch day - so is my brother, his wife, my sister-in-law, and one of my best friends... we are all leaving our current providers - without any second thoughts, I might add. This is just out of the people that I can think of immediately. I can guarantee you that there will be thousands of others like myself doing the exact same thing.

Jan 30, 2006

I meant the Mac Pro, not the iMac or Mac Mini. The Mac Pro was updated, it received 8-core.
The MBP update was awesome, what else could you possible want? The MB update was OK, it is still very up-to-date compared to the majority of the laptops out there.

Any computer is prone to defects, the reason it seems that "all" the new MBP have that yellowish tint is because all the people with problems come to the forums, the ones that have perfect MBP won't come to the forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Boy common sense isn't so "common" nowadays.

The iPhone is a NEW product launch. We don't know how it's going to function fully. It's exciting ...you don't get to see groundbreaking product launches every year. That is why the iPhone garners so much respect.

Do you really think the world is waiting with baited breath for another Mac mini refresh?

Mac Pro's aren't going to significantly be upgraded until 45nm Penryn in Q3 at the earlierst

Macbook's aren't getting Santa Rosa...MBP are on Santa Rosa. LED screens look different than Flourescent..duh different light source.

Mac mini may be dead it's hard to say.

Frankly I want to see the Apple iPhone meet expectations and exceed them. I'm not an Apple stockholder but if I was I'd love every bit of good news about the iPhone. Even as a non stock holder I love good news because a healthy Apple means a healthy Mac platform.

Ranting about the news coverage is a bit silly. Ranting about upgrades to computers or rather the lack of info is absurd. Apple is locked to Intel platform releases now. Apple just can't pull out the white rabbit from the hat.

The appropriate thing to do is get caught up with "current" events before you try to delve into future events. IMO

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The iPhone will help the Apple brand. News sites have written about other products for years, I say let them get excited about Apple's new thing for now. Lastly, if Apple squeezed a new hot one of each product every few mounths then the quality would suffer and they would start to look more and more like HP and Dell.

You might have the means to want a scenario where Apple gives you buyers remose by comming out with a completely new and better version of what you bought just a few months ago but I would abandon Apple if they started to.

New and improved every 1-2 years with minor speed bumps along the way is what I prefer. Besides the rumour sites are often wrong so who cares if they are not filling your heads with false rumours, maybe there just isn't anything new to report now.

Apple used to do that.... they would intro a new product or update and 6-7 months down the road there would be an update. With Intel... the processors are getting updates every 4 months or less so Apple can keep up with their previouse roadmap... but not every 1-2 years with a minor speed bump that is a bit over the top. Technology just moves faster than that... and my minor... do you mean that .06Ghz bump we just got? Most users would be upset with Apple if they waited 18months for a speed bump of .06GHz and a few minor improvements.

i had a blackberry through AT&T for a week. Then my first bill showed up for $140 and I said no way in HELL. So I returned the phone.

Much as I'm not a fan of sprint, I'm doing a lot better with them with a Motorola Q (well, soon to be, right now I have a Treo 700WX) and a $34/mo plan for 500 min and unlimited data/unlimited text. The same thing AT&T was charging me $97/mo for.

For whomever said this, the 755p and the 680 aren't the same phone...same housing, but the 755 has much mroe powerful guts and some better features.

Yeah... I have been reading the specs and it does seem to be a bit more improved. Can't wait to get my hands on the red one... may just get a Red Nano to go with it.

I am ditching my Verizon service that I have only had for about 7 months to get an iPhone on launch day - so is my brother, his wife, my sister-in-law, and one of my best friends... we are all leaving our current providers - without any second thoughts, I might add. This is just out of the people that I can think of immediately. I can guarantee you that there will be thousands of others like myself doing the exact same thing.

I just don't see how anyone could deal with the cancellation fees? That is what the real problem is for me... the cancellation fees, and the new contract deposit. I think Cingular asked me for $250 for a new contract and I flipped them the bird and when with Sprint who asked me for $150.

I meant the Mac Pro, not the iMac or Mac Mini. The Mac Pro was updated, it received 8-core.
The MBP update was awesome, what else could you possible want? The MB update was OK, it is still very up-to-date compared to the majority of the laptops out there.

Any computer is prone to defects, the reason it seems that "all" the new MBP have that yellowish tint is because all the people with problems come to the forums, the ones that have perfect MBP won't come to the forums.

The 8Core MacPro was no where near an update... welcomed by some... hated by many... but either way it wasn't an update. There is a poster named Multimedia over in the MacPro/PowerMac forums who could tell you his real opinion about the Octo MacPro.

I understand that any hardware is prone to defects, but if I waited 6 or more months for an updated MacBook Pro... and then Apple releases this current Santa Rosa MBP... I would have asked myself what the heck I waited 6 months for. I was kind of expecting some new BTO options, Blue-Ray, HD-DVD, integrated 3G, much faster CPUs, better battery life, more USB ports or one extra FW400, maybe a slightly new design to get rid of that annoying latch or an easier way to replace the HDD. I was on the verge of selling my 6 month old MBP and upgrading to a 17" since I see myself using my laptop for more video editing instead of my tower (yuck!) but with these current models I will wait another year or so and suffer some more.

Boy common sense isn't so "common" nowadays.

The iPhone is a NEW product launch. We don't know how it's going to function fully. It's exciting ...you don't get to see groundbreaking product launches every year. That is why the iPhone garners so much respect.

Do you really think the world is waiting with baited breath for another Mac mini refresh?

Mac Pro's aren't going to significantly be upgraded until 45nm Penryn in Q3 at the earlierst

Macbook's aren't getting Santa Rosa...MBP are on Santa Rosa. LED screens look different than Flourescent..duh different light source.

Mac mini may be dead it's hard to say.

Frankly I want to see the Apple iPhone meet expectations and exceed them. I'm not an Apple stockholder but if I was I'd love every bit of good news about the iPhone. Even as a non stock holder I love good news because a healthy Apple means a healthy Mac platform.

Ranting about the news coverage is a bit silly. Ranting about upgrades to computers or rather the lack of info is absurd. Apple is locked to Intel platform releases now. Apple just can't pull out the white rabbit from the hat.

The appropriate thing to do is get caught up with "current" events before you try to delve into future events. IMO

Ranting about news coverage is NOT silly. I am not trying to insult you but do you watch the news? I don't care about Paris Hilton going to jail... how about my fellow American's in Iraq? How about my fellow humans suffering in Darfur? There is more important news going on other than some rich white girl doing easy time for drunk driving... just as there are more important tech news going on other than the iPhone.

One poster above shed some light about why it may be so important. Apple pulling the white rabbit from the hat is exactly what they did with the iPhone so what is your point? We know MacBook's weren't getting SR but such a paltry update after 6 months? I would get one if I were shopping for one but Apple could have done better... look at the iPhone. Flourescent lights and LEDs do not a yellowish tint near the bottom of your screen make. Yes... the world is waiting and holding its breathe and wallets for a Macintosh refresh... ask Multimedia and others claiming that the MacPro is overpriced for year old tech and 18 month old graphics cards... not to mention the consumers and pros waiting for a refresh to the iMac.

I want to see the iPhone succeed as well but it isn't the only product that Apple makes and it is far from anything groundbreaking when you compare it to the other truly groundbreaking innovations that Apple has created/debuted in a new product. And most people that aren't too concerned with the iPhone are the ones that are caught up with "current" events... remember the iPhone was debutted 6 months ago around the time the iMacs were still two months or so old... time for an update.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
I want an iPhone, but I hate it because I am afraid I'm waiting until the 29th just to be ultimately (partially) disappointed and not personally compatible with the iPhone.

My #1/biggest thing is Cingular. It's GSM. There is less GSM coverage in the US. GSM does have a shorter length/strength of radio frequency range compared to GSM, by a margin of almost twice! There are less GSM providers (and tower cohost services), meaning that there are less options for roaming providers (paid for by your provider, unpaid roaming, emergency roaming, or otherwise!).

My #2 complaint is likely going to be price and value. Cingular/AT&T have NOT been known to offer a lot of value when it comes to price plans and wireless features. I'm sure the data, especially since it's been beefed up for the iPhone rollout, is going to be exorbitant compared to CDMA services. It's about $15 a month for me to put my Treo on Sprint even with full web access being tunneled to my Mac or whatever browser on the Treo! (And actually, since I'm on the Sprint Employee Referral Offer (SERO) plan, it's free for me, and my plan is discounted.) I am so afraid that I'm going to be forced to get a $40+/month plan and then another $40/month data plan.

I'm hoping that they subsidize the cost of the data plan in exchange for the two year contract... Otherwise, WHAT THE HECK IS THE CONTRACT FOR!? The phone hardware is admittedly not being subsidized! I want a decent (700-1200 minutes, nights and weekends, rollover, unlimited EDGE) plan for like $50-65/month. More than $70 a month and I'm out. There's no reason why the data plan COSTS them that much, or why the minute usage is that expensive, for them to justify paying the plan rate monthly, getting NO discount/subsidy on hardware, AND signing a two-year contract.

That's where I'm at right now... "wait until the 29th and see." It might end up that I'm an iPhone hater, and I'll go get a Treo and keep my iPod 30gb and just get a little subnotebook and hook it up to my Treo via Bluetooth for internet on the go. Mildly less cool/convenient, but a way better value for the $$$.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
OMG, please iPhone haters keep all of your ramblings in this thread. I'm sick of hearing how much you hate the iPhone. Why do you all feel the need to waste so much time saying how much you hate something? It's sick and disturbing IMO.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
OMG, please iPhone haters keep all of your ramblings in this thread. I'm sick of hearing how much you hate the iPhone. Why do you all feel the need to waste so much time saying how much you hate something? It's sick and disturbing IMO.

i've been saying that for days, but the iphone haters seem to think since this IS the iphone forum they can keep talking about why they're not getting it over and over.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
remember the iPhone was debutted 6 months ago around the time the iMacs were still two months or so old... time for an update.
Hopefully Apple won't need to announce a future product as far in advance like they had to with the iPhone.

"When's it going to be available? We're shipping them in June -- we're announcing it today because we have to go get FCC approval... we thought it'd be better to introduce this today rather than let the FCC introduce this."

As for it not being the only product that Apple makes, and others need updating, blah blah blah, there's still:
July 1-31 +
August 1-31 +
September 1-30 +
October 1-31 +
November 1-30 +
December 1-31

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.