Official tutorial for new iMac HD/SSD upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CarreraGuy, Jul 13, 2014.

1. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Wondering if there is a suggested/recommended tutorial (video preferred) on how to upgrade storage on a new iMac.

I viewed a few and some are just so annoying with background music with no one talking.

This one is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ls-WoQSls

But why do you need to remove the glass panel? Seems like you could just keep it propped up during your upgrade - and one less thing to worry about putting back correctly, i.e. the adhesive that is.

2. jimmyusmc macrumors member

Wow, it makes me wanna upgrade to an SSD lol.. I'm sure that if I did, I would just end up messing it up. Great video though!

3. CarreraGuy thread starter macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

It looks tempting and the ironic thing is it looks easier than the 2010 iMac HD/SSD upgrade - which I currently own. From the video it looks like you have less stuff to unplug/unscrew, etc. to get the HD out.

If anyone out there has a newer iMac and upgraded to a 500mb or 1tb SSD I'd really be interested in hearing your story. My 2011 iMac is ready for an upgrade.

4. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

There may be some good tutorial on the net, but I don't think you can get an official one. Apple never want the customer repair / upgrade any iMac (except the RAM). Unless you can get the Apple Technician Guide for the new iMac, otherwise, nothing is official.

P.S. The Apple Technician Guide for 2011 iMac is actually available at somewhere, but haven't seen one for the new iMac yet.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just curious - you mentioned "new iMac HD/SSD upgrade", and that's the video that you referenced.
    But, you mention both a 2010 iMac, and 2011 iMac, which are both "old" iMacs. Neither need the "un-taping", but would use the suction cups to remove the glass panel, etc.
    Your linked video comes from OWC.com.
    OWC also has a variety of step-by-step videos for those older iMacs, too.
    Such as - http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011/

The "cut through the tape" steps did not start until the first iMacs that are assembled with tape - which are the 2012 iMacs and later.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I assume you mean keeping the screen propped up during the installation, as opposed to removing it completely.

I haven't done it, but it looks like in the process of lifting it you'd lever up the far end and pull up the adhesive; it might drop down properly after you finish, but I'd wager that it wouldn't fit flush. I would think it better to replace all the adhesive.

There's a non-video tutorial on iFixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+Hard+Drive+Replacement/19643

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The OP claims to have either a 2010 or 2011 iMac (?), which is the older construction - no adhesive, just magnets and screws.

8. CarreraGuy thread starter macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

I'm asking about the new iMacs but I have a 2011. I'd like to sell it and upgrade to the new iMac.

My main point was the HD/SSD installation on the new iMacs *appear* to be simpler, aside from the adhesive fiasco.

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I could easily do the repair, but it's under AppleCare and there is always that risk that something could go wrong.

I want to add a 1-2TB WD Black or Samsung 1TB Evo in the empty SATA slot from My Windows 8.1 partition currently hogging half of my 512GB PCIe SSD. I need the space for these 50GB+ games. Uninstalling one game to install the next is annoying to say the least.

How comfortable are you with doing it yourself?