Official Unlock/Jailbreak Question...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bush1974, Dec 27, 2009.

1. bush1974 macrumors member

Hi all,
    I've just sent O2 (UK) a request for my 3GS to be officially unlocked and now waiting for confirmation. How do they unlock the phone, is it done through itunes?
    Also, will this update my baseband? I am currently untethered jailbroken 3.1.2 and don't want to lose it!
    Thanks in advance, Bush.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is thru itunes.
    Next time you restore or update you will get a message that your iphone is unlocked.
    You dont have to restore right now if you dont want to.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

If your phone is jailbroken why not unlock it yourself?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Factory unlocked phones are worth more money when resold and he wont have to worry about jailbreaking or baseband unlocks each time apple puts out an update. Just because the 3GS is unlocked now it doesnt mean all future firmware and basebands will be cracked also.

5. bush1974 thread starter macrumors member

So I have to restore or update, that's a shame as this will update my baseband and I will lose my untethered jailbreak??? Or am I getting this all wrong lol.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With each new version of official Apple firmware, new jailbreak and unlock tools have to be written, so yes, if you update to the newest Apple firmware before the tools are written, you will lose your JB/UL.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you will have to rejailbreak, but if you have an untethered jailbreak now, your new jailbreak will be also untethered. Tethered/untethered is determined by your device's bootrom, not firmware/baseband. Bootrom can't be modified once your device is out of the factory.