Official Unlock Possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AppleFan8796, Jul 12, 2010.

1. AppleFan8796 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have an iphone 3gs that has never been activated with at&t (though it is still locked to the carrier) and I am moving to Europe in a couple weeks. I know I can unlock the phone myself using online software but the way I understand, many providers in Europe offer to unlock the iphone, so is there any chance they could unlock my at&t phone? I have read that they can only unlock phones on their own network so what if I unlocked the never used 3gs and used one of the carriers (specifically 02 or Vodafone) from the start and then ask them to officially unlock it since it has been used on their network? Can they tell by my IMEI number that it is an at&t phone that has been tampered with? Basically, I want to fool them into thinking it's a vodafone/O2 iphone. I don't truly understand IMEI and how they are registered with carriers/apple. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks =]

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Generally, carriers will not unlock iphones they did not sell. The phone's model number also indicates who the phone was made for.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The way Apple has implemented the unlock process, carriers can only unlock iPhones that they themselves have sold. Nobody but AT&T could unlock your phone, and AT&T will not do it.

4. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Even if it's a 3G that's out of contract (ie. AT&T has already collected their money)?

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T simply does not unlock iPhones they sell, regardless of contract status. They will unlock any other brand/model of phone. I've had them unlock a Samsung phone, no questions asked. But they don't unlock iPhones.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You know, I'm not big on lawsuits, but there really should be a class action for this. Even if I finish my contract (or simply buy a phone off contract), I'm basically forced to stick with at&t. There's obviously no technical issue, since Apple unlocks iPhones sold in other countries with no problems. I don't see myself leaving AT&T anytime soon, but it would be nice to be able to use local SIMs when travelling abroad. Although the devteam unlock will probably be out by the time I travel outside the country again.

7. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

There is... can't believe you didn't see it after searching the forums and before posting this:confused:

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

You know, being someone who usually thinks most class action lawsuits are silly, I think there is some legitimacy to this.

In court, if I were a juror, I'd have a hard time not seeing how having a phone locked to only one carrier doesn't inherently create monopoly power.

Ive said it before, and I truly believe it - once other carriers get the iPhone, AT&T is hosed.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just as a techinal point...Apple doesn't unlock phones, the carriers unlock phones using Apple's servers.

10. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

The only way I know how to get a truly unlocked phone, that stays unlocked even on a DFU restore is to purchase one from Taiwan, the UK, or Canada when they start selling there. However, like it was pointed out to me, be prepared to pay almost 4 digits for the phone.

11. jamaggic macrumors member

unlocked

since you are going to Europe anyway,,, why not just sell the phone you have here and buy an officially unlocked iphone at an apple store either in UK, or Italy,,, then use the carrier you wish. It will be unlocked forever then, even with updates.

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The four digit reference is a bit of a Fallacy. See attached link from apple store uk for the IP4 unlocked. At an exchange rate of 1.5 to 1 this works out at about $750 for the 16G and $900 for the 32K. Also generally prices in the UK already include taxes they are not added after the event like in the US.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you JB and unlock your Iphone before you leave for the UK you will have no trouble with any of the UK carriers. They will welcome your business, in fact if you take in a locked ATT phone to them and ask them about unlocking they will advise you to get it JB and unlocked and then come back. You will also find there is no need for a contract, they will offer month to month with 3G data or even pay as you go with 3G data. The carriers also sell the phone outright. I suspect it has changed since the carriers have all been updating data plans, but two months ago they were still offering unlimited data for 12 months free with the purchase of an iphone outright from O2.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually the carrier send the request with the iphone serial/imei to Apple and then Apple officially unlocks the device thru itunes.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My point was supposed to be Apple doesn't initiate jailbreaks, the carriers do that.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that is correct.
    And we're stuck with AT&T that refuses to unlock any iphones:rolleyes:

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So true.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I didn't search for it, mostly because it isn't a major concern of mine and I wasn't making a thread on the matter. I was just expressing my opinion that there should be a class action for this situation. Don't see why I can't post that...

Besides, that class action is about the exclusivity agreement, NOT the subsidy lock. I personally don't care about the exclusivity, but there absolutely should be an option to unlock if i have fulfilled my contract

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

start contacting lawyers then....you can debate about it all day on the forums but where does it get you.. no where!

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't have the financial resources to go to court about this. That's why I look to the devteam. Doesn't change my opinion on the matter, is there anything wrong in expressing that?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing wrong with that.
    It would be nice if we got a law team to
    Take on the task of getting USA customers to be able to officially unlock their devices if the contract has expired or phone paid in full.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

class action law suits are either paid by the group or they sue for money and the lawyer gets paid out of that,,, if a lawyer was willing many would be willing to pay a fee per head for factory unlocked phones at least at the end of the contract!!! or if traveling! truly ATT will unlock any phone but the iPhone if you have a good reason.. I don't have allot of issues with ATT personalty but this!