Official Version of PhoneSaber Enhanced, Still Free

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In August, we noted that the popular PhoneSaber application for the iPhone had been pulled at the request of Lucasfilm. PhoneSaber was a light saber "simulator" complete with sound effects.

As promised, the developer announced that an official version is on the way and it should be available soon in the App Store:
    The new version of the App will still be free.

Article Link

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 68000

SkippyThorson

lol Nice. I didn't think Lucas would go and charge for that. I'll be getting my copy just to see what it's turned into.

3. Fidgetyrat macrumors 6502

I like that lucas at least worked with the guy rather then destroy and bury the app entirely in greed.

Nice advertising opportunity for lucas.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

lol, I guess Apple only flags that if it makes fart noises. Imagine that tho, FartSabers...

5. MacTheSpoon macrumors 6502a

All right, so it's still free, but it's a subtle ad for the video game now. But I guess that'll be all right. The updated graphics and sounds will be cool.

6. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

Yeah, right? This is by far and away the single most used app on my phone! I chop people's heads off with it all the time. :D

I'm not so sure I personally am going to like the added bloat of "Lucas Arts." I like the simplicity of it the way it is now. That's just me though.

7. Maxamillious Suspended

So will this App overwrite the existing Phonesaber App? I know it's a "new" App, but if Lucasfilm worked with the guy on it, could there be a possibility they left it's core intact and reworked it from the ground up?

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

So everyone that said Apple, THQ and LucasArts was "evil" for taking the first version off the market.

You can apologize here.:eek:

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I don't mind the app being an advertisement now, especially if it's enhanced. And, well, it IS from Star Wars -- so makes sense. I DO hope they keep the "full screen" version too, which I liked better. I always thought having a tiny little picture of a full lightsaber looked a little silly on my phone. Even more so if there's a Darth Vader head (or whomever) there now too...

10. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they block the fart app that actually had some thought put into it with more features that other apps, while I see this even more limited app just new in the store:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288787668&mt=8

I guess tickling the iPhone is not limited utility, but farts are.

11. MHerstand macrumors member

And it will now work on the iPod Touch! (Well for those who get the new one). I'd say this is definitely the reason they added a speaker to the iPod Touch - PhoneSaber! (Well, and that they want it to become a more serious mobile gaming console).

12. Marzzz macrumors regular

::::spews coffee all over monitor::::

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Actually, if I remember correctly, they don't need to leave the core intact. The person just needs to upload it into the PhoneSaber application in iTunes Connect as an update.

14. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

"no" utility. hey, i loves me my star wars, but if apple is pulling programs due to limited utility, this should be on the top of the list.

just trying to point out the hypocrisy of apple pulling fart applications.

but with the relationship apple has with lucas films, i'm sure a george approved wookie themed pull my finger app would stay up . . .

15. ezpk69 macrumors newbie

Wookiees have been known to pull your finger off if you stink up the cockpit with a "silent-but-sith".

Just a heads up.

16. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Not sure whether to be pleasantly surprised that it's still free or dismayed that it's now a marketing tool for a video game.

At least it's not shilling for The Clone Wars movie. Ugh.

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Limited Utility was just an excuse for Apple not to put such an immature and inappropriate application up. I agree that it aught to be taken down and limited utility is just one of the multiple reasons.

18. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

You don't think that decision should be left up to the end user instead of "Big Brother?":confused:
    Wow. I know, let's burn some books while we're at it.:rolleyes:

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I will certainly get this when it shows up in the app store.

20. kcroy macrumors regular

kcroy

This will have to do until a real light saber is constructed. Someone is working on that, right?!? :D

21. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

I pwn newbs all the time with my iphone saber, so step off, for real, lol.

22. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

Dunno, seems like it should be titled Lightsaber: Unsheathed. You don't unleash a lightsaber.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Sweeet!
    I'll be using this for my new iPod touch I am getting on Tuesday!!!11!!!!!1

[EDIT] Hmm... who are those two characters that I've never seen before?
    Could they be from the rumored episodes 7, 8, and 9?
    Or maybe they're from the soon to come live action tv show.
    I'm not making this up, go to supershadow.com to find out for yourself.[/EDIT]

I sure as hell hope so!
    That would be awesome! :D

24. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

They're characters from the new videogame "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" that's coming out next week.