Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxpert

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Post here if waiting for the next Macbook/Macbook Pro upgrades. We should take comfort in the fact that we are not alone.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I am.
SR and Leopard and iLife 07 and Aperture 2.
Then I am getting something. Still can't decide what, but I need something to replace the G3.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Easy User Replaceble Hard Drive MBP Is Key To My Money

Santa Rosa Middle Model MacBook:
2.16Ghz 2nd Generation Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
120GB Harddrive
Robson Technology
Intel GMA X3000
LED-lit Display
Same Price

Santa Rosa High End 15" and 17" MacBook Pro:
2.4Ghz 2nd Generation Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB of RAM
200GB Harddrive
Robson Technology
ATI Radeon X1700
Easy User Replaceble Hard Drive
Magnetic Latch
LED-lit Display
Same Price
I will only pull the trigger on the 17" MBP when it has that Easy User Replaceble Hard Drive feature in it. Until then they can rot in hell and I'll make do with my 8 core Mac Pro. ;)

wrxpert

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I'm dying for one. I just got a new job that will make it very affordable for me to get one. It will also be my first mac.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Me.

I somewhat doubt that Apple will use the X1700. It seems almost pointless to upgrade the graphics card to one that is only slightly better, and just really generates more heat. Apple will upgrade the graphics card when there is a REAL replacement for the X1600, hopefully being the X2600.

What Apple could do is put the X3000 in both the MB and MBP, and add a much better graphics card to the MBP as well, which the user can turn on and off through the "better peformance" "better battery life" control panel. I don't know if it's possible to turn a GPU on and off like this without restarting. I believe some other company has the patent to this, so Apple would have to pay them money. On second thoughts, Apple probably woldn't do this unless it was completely controlled by the computer, with no input from the user.

More likely Apple will just stick with the X1600, or maybe a X1650, unless the X2300 and X2600 draw too much heat to be used. Considering they are supposed to be on a 65nm process, they have the potential I suppose to be reasonably low power consumption.

I think both MB and MBP will be able to address at least 4GB RAM, maybe more when 4GB sticks are released (if they aren't already). Whether Apple offers 4GB as a BTO option on the MBs, we will have to wait and see.

So looking forward to a 2.4Ghz 15" MBP with a much higher resolution screen than today's, 2GB RAM stock, 160GB HDD stock, maybe a couple of gig of Robson flash memory, hopefully a Mobility X2600 variant, all for well under 3 grand AU$ :)

I really need a faster computer really soon. My 450 Mhz G4 Cube just doesn't cut it any more, and I need something to chew through MatLab for Uni, do a bit of SolidWorks for fancy presentations, other random stuff like iMovie, and of course a bit of gaming on the side. Apparently, CNC3 rules.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
I am waiting to see what enhancements will be in the next revision, but it will have to be more than just flash memory, a better graphics card and LED displays for me to upgrade (even though that in itself is tempting).

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Sell the G4 Cube. Why not just buy a refurbished Mac Mini and use it and when you buy a Santa Rosa Mac you could use your Mac Mini as media center/back-up.

I doubt whether I'll ever sell my Cube, even though it's worth like AU$500 :)
It has a 250GB HDD in it, and so I'll likely use it on our home network as extra storage space.

In terms of a mini, I spend a total of about 3 hours a day on the train, and so having a notebook would be really great for getting work done. At the moment, those 3 hours in my day are pretty much wasted.

So, yeah. There really isn't much that a Mini would do that my Cube can't, except run Windows. What I need is a MB or MBP, the only question is when, and I intend to hold out for this semester, and get a new MB or MBP just before second semester starts at the end of July.

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
I'm in, bottom end MBP Santa Rosa, updated Graphics card (X2600??) 10.5 Ilife 07, which I'm waiting for so I can build a Website with the newer version for my Work Experience.

They better release it before July!

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I'm sorry to inject a note of stupidity into this thread, but I have a question about Santa Rosa and the mini. I know that Santa Rosa is intended as for portables, but since the MacBook and minis have shared the same processor in the past--and I sure wish the mini would be updated to C2D already!--does anyone expect the mini to get an immediate Santa Rosa update as well?

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I'm sorry to inject a note of stupidity into this thread, but I have a question about Santa Rosa and the mini. I know that Santa Rosa is intended as for portables, but since the MacBook and minis have shared the same processor in the past--and I sure wish the mini would be updated to C2D already!--does anyone expect the mini to get an immediate Santa Rosa update as well?

Yes, Mac Mini will get the Santa Rosa platform.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Im just waiting for an update in general.
Il buy a MBP whatever it brings.

There not going to have 4GB RAM standard for a few years yet.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Despite this being at least the third "Official" Santa Rosa topic I have seen of late, I will say that I would not buy an iMac or MB/MBP now unless it had 800MHz FSB, possible Core 2 Quad and obviously Leopard.

My 24" iMac can wait as long as it takes to satisfy my needs. If I see an update very soon, (say at the same time as Leopard, which for argument's sake gets released at the end of this month), I would wait possibly until Sep/Oct time myself. Same with MBP. If you don't need yet, hold off and there may be a Quad core option.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Get a MacBook if you are not doing heavy gaming.

Ah, the question is, if I get a MBP, will I be doing heavy gaming?
I think that if I had a X2600 in a MBP, I would start to buy games like Crysis and CNC3. If I bought a MB, I might buy WC3 or something.

The point is I will use watever I get.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Ah, the question is, if I get a MBP, will I be doing heavy gaming?
I think that if I had a X2600 in a MBP, I would start to buy games like Crysis and CNC3. If I bought a MB, I might buy WC3 or something.

The point is I will use watever I get.

How about ATI Radeon X2800 XT Mac Pro for ultimate gaming.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I'll buy a high end 15" MBP whatever it is. I hope
it's out by the end of the summer. Please don't make us
wait until fall!

I would like to see built in eSATA ports and user servicable
hard drive.

I bet we only see 1/2 the things people are expecting to see,
ie: LED backlight, Higher Res display, Robson Cache. Some
people are expecting the moon, keep those expectations low.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Me.

I somewhat doubt that Apple will use the X1700... <snip>

Thanks for this post; I don't know much about video cards, especially mobile ones, but I've been thinking recently about getting a MBP so it's starting to matter ('specially if I get an external display for it). I have heard often that Apple put a "middle of the road" gpu into the MBP with the X1600; are any of the ones you suggest as possible replacements "high-end", or can we expect them to avoid the high end notebook GPUs because they're focused on thin, light, power-efficient laptops?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
How about ATI Radeon X2800 XT Mac Pro for ultimate gaming.

Too expensive. And it's not portable. And it doesn't use Santa Rosa :p

Imagine commuting with a Mac Pro and 30" screen, with huge battery packs to run it. It would be amusing to see someone spread out on a 4-seater train seat trying to play Crysis on a Mac Pro.

Much more effective to just buy a MBP.

Of course, I could buy a bottom MB and have AU$3.5G out of 5G to easily buy a 24" iMac, hopefully with a decent GPU, or maybe push it a few grand more to a Mac Pro and LCD screen, or maybe even the Kentsfield Mini Mac Pro that we all want to exist.

But I don't "need" a Mac Pro, however much I would like one, I don't "need" a MBP, I don't even "need" a MB. No-one "needs" anything, really. It's just a balance of productivity and happiness versus cost. I'm just not really sure whether the MBP or the MB is the best balance, and anyway, a MBP will last me longer than a MB, simply because it's more powerful, and therefore will handle applications I throw at it better, for longer.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Too expensive. And it's not portable. And it doesn't use Santa Rosa :p

Imagine commuting with a Mac Pro and 30" screen, with huge battery packs to run it. It would be amusing to see someone spread out on a 4-seater train seat trying to play Crysis on a Mac Pro.

Much more effective to just buy a MBP.

Of course, I could buy a bottom MB and have AU$3.5G out of 5G to easily buy a 24" iMac, hopefully with a decent GPU, or maybe push it a few grand more to a Mac Pro and LCD screen, or maybe even the Kentsfield Mini Mac Pro that we all want to exist.

But I don't "need" a Mac Pro, however much I would like one, I don't "need" a MBP, I don't even "need" a MB. No-one "needs" anything, really. It's just a balance of productivity and happiness versus cost. I'm just not really sure whether the MBP or the MB is the best balance, and anyway, a MBP will last me longer than a MB, simply because it's more powerful, and therefore will handle applications I throw at it better, for longer.

The MBP and MB will last the same time, both are good in terms of power. I am also wishing for a Blue-Ray (should be standard) burner in the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Thanks for this post; I don't know much about video cards, especially mobile ones, but I've been thinking recently about getting a MBP so it's starting to matter ('specially if I get an external display for it). I have heard often that Apple put a "middle of the road" gpu into the MBP with the X1600; are any of the ones you suggest as possible replacements "high-end", or can we expect them to avoid the high end notebook GPUs because they're focused on thin, light, power-efficient laptops?

There have been many arguments about this before, but for me, the answer is no. There are plenty of "high end" mobile graphics cards. The X1600 only eats about 17W (an obscure reference I found after a lot of googling that may be true, or not). Any other graphics card that has a higher performance is going to chew through a lot of juice. I think we can expect a minimum of 50W for the X2600 (found in Wikipedia), but they could be desktop versions. The GDDR2 version of the X2600 is supposed to pull like 75W. The GDDR4 version is more like 130W. If ATI don't bring out cards that are under, say, 30W, I would think it is unlikely that Apple will put them in the MBP. Maybe in the 24" iMac though, and certainly in the Mac Pro.

We can only hope that ATI releases a mobile version of the X2600, or even the X2300, with a decent TDP, in time for Apple to use it in the next MBP revision. Only then will the X1600 really be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.