Official Who in the UK is going to get an iPhone thread/ poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Sep 18, 2007.

?

Will you buy a UK iPhone?

1. No

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Yes, and I will use it with o2

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Yes, but I will unlock and use as iPod/WiFi tablet (no phone)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, but I will unlock and use with another provider

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

I was so geared up for buying one, almost accepting that EDGE would be Ok in the interim period before a 3G version comes out in 2008, but now I'm not so sure.

The Cloud WiFi network is a nice bonus, assuming it will be free.......

So, with the price set at £269 plus crap tariffs, 30% EDGE coverage at launch only, crap network carrier, who's going to be an early adopter and buy an iPhone on November 9th ?

2. pjac macrumors regular

I would have been very tempted if it had been with my current mobile provider (who are also my ISP - a pretty good combined deal).

The vague "fair usage" cap is a pain - I'm surprised the advertising standards agency haven't stopped this kind of thing yet (this rant applies to ISPs as well).

I'll reassess the situation if I move house in the spring - maybe able to switch my broadband from ADSL to something else, and I'll be able to break my current mobile contract by then too.

3. 210 macrumors regular

iPhone

I would have bought it, but I'm tied with Orange until next September and it'll cost £250 to leave in November. Looks like I'll have to wait until version 2

4. AndyGarton macrumors member

Import and unlock has to be the way to go now it's clear the UK iPhone is the same hardware as the US one.

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It strikes me they missed an opportunity.. 18 month contract?? and O2?? Their data plans are known to be universally crap (it says business as O2 have never considered data to be a consumer product - they're *that* behind the curve).

The No 3G argument steve used is a bit hokey - I can run my N95 for 3.5 days with 3G enabled, and 6 days if I put the extended battery in it.. and the N95 is not exactly known for its long battery life. The thing that really drains it is the GPS and the iphone doesn't have one of those. If he'd just come flat out and said it would cost too much to reengineer it with a 3G chipset then it would at least have made more sense.

I was considering it once I was far enough into my current contract that buying it out wouldn't break the bank, but not with O2, and not for that price, and definately not an 18 month contract.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sign me up for one in June/July of next year.

:)

EDIT: p.s. Where is the poll?

7. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I'm getting one of the 9th November, as soon as they come out. Screw the money. I'm treating myself. Something to do while i'm bored and sitting around at college.

8. Mattydj macrumors regular

I want one badly but i'm only 15 and mum won't let me have a contract phone...i guess i'm stuck on my pay as you go Nokia :(

9. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

10. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Do what I'm doing, which is as follows:
    • Buy iPhone.
    • Activate through anySIM.
    • Enjoy Vodafone'd iPhone.
    Just to let you know, I'm 16 and my parents refuse to pay for an iPhone so I have devised a cunning plan... I'm gonna work my arse off for the next two months. :D

11. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Ha, i've done that for the last two months. Now i have the £270 in the bank sitting there, waiting for the iPhone to be released. My mums said she'll pay the contract if i raise the money for the iPhone. Woohoo.

12. Project macrumors 68020

Yep. Day 1.

The only issue for me is whether I unlock it or not, or stick with the main tariff.

13. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Already got one unlocked on Orange Network, thanks! :D :D

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not yet.

When the phone has 3G and there is a monthly plan that better suits my needs I may get one.

15. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

will I be able to use safari with wifi.. if its unlocked to one of o2's simplicity SIMs?

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I really really want one, but I think I'm going to have to pass.

Even when one comes out on 3G, unless Telefonica massively change O2's attitude towards the technology and inject serious cash for a real rollout, it'll still be hopeless.

So, I want visual voicemail, and I don't want my unlock to keep being reversed by Apple every time I update the thing. Yet I really don't want to be on O2. So I guess I can't have it.

I can see the iPhone becoming more popular and getting a better response in the countries where it actually lands on a decent network.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

My Plan...

Touch now (16GB) and then an iPhone in January when the 16GB version is announced.

I don't think the O2 is as bad as I'd expected. Especially with the cloud thrown in.

18. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly it's virtually impossible to hit that cap unless you're doing it deliberally. It's like the ISPs who had trouble with people who were deliberately downloading 100 gigs a day "just because they could". I mean these people are real asses and ruin it for the rest of us: they would go on a Linux FTP server and automatically download Linux repeatedly again and again for no reason whatsoever. They ruined it for all of us in the end.

1400 pages, whatever that means, is alot more than you can hit, to my knowledge, especially since EDGE is so slow.