Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Okay, I'll kick it off.

iWork 2007 - Shipping Today

iPhone - Some very cool secret feature we don't yet know about

Leopard - An even cooler and more secret mind-blowing surprise

Introduction of iLife features for Leopard that will make us understand why we will be waiting until October for iLife

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
It's all very well "predicting" secret features, have you got any thoughts of what they may be? :)

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Perhaps multi touch support in Leopard?:D As I've said in other threads, I really hope there's not too much about the iPhone... if WWDC keynotes becomes about consumer products...ehhh whats the point... go to the workshops :D Seriously though, I love Apple's consumer products :)

Predictions:
Awesome features in Leopard... can only come up with multi touch... or some kind of touch screen capability, thats all I got for now, haha

Previews of new iMacs

Perhaps a little about the iPhone

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Perhaps multi touch support in Leopard?:D As I've said in other threads, I really hope there's not too much about the iPhone... if WWDC keynotes becomes about consumer products...ehhh whats the point... go to the workshops :D Seriously though, I love Apple's consumer products :)

Predictions:
Awesome features in Leopard... can only come up with multi touch... or some kind of touch screen capability, thats all I got for now, haha

Previews of new iMacs

Perhaps a little about the iPhone

While multitouch could be quite an awesome addition to an Operating System, I assume none of the current hardware from Apple would support it. So for the large portion of Apple users that will just install Leopard on their current computers it would be largely useless.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
A man can dream can't he?! :D I'm not saying its likely, but I thought I'd throw it out there... besides who's to say just because current hardware can't support it, that its not possible they'd add multi touch to the OS? I could be funtional in the same way Tiger is today, just have the multi touch capability for those with the hardware. That said, Apple is long overdue to update their iMacs and displays... which those could possibly support it on update? At some point if they ever did include such a technology, there'd probably be plenty of those out there who's hardware would not support such technology anyway. Sorry for the long essay about an awesome, however unlikely addition to Leopard :D

As a man dreameth... :cool:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
As excited as I am, I try not to get too carried away by unrealistic predictions. I can't remember the last time I wasn't left with a feeling of huge anti-climax after an Apple event, and it's normally because we've all built it up in our imaginations; therefore:

I predict that Leopard will be pretty much as we've seen it over the last year. The top secret feature is a new 3D weather widget.

The iMac update will simply see the size of the chin increased to accommodate an Intel Inside sticker.

That's it. Now surely I won't be disappointed ;)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I think we will see:

1) Considerable revisions to Finder
Justification:
- It needs it as it has been neglected for too long and there are some obvious flaws/bugs/performance issues, or is the case of networking, read all of the above.
- Apple have not changed much in the Finder in the developer seeds (from what I have seen in the screenshots), which makes me suspicious something is coming. Expect it to make use of Core Animation, for example, when you sort a folder by name the icons will move places using a swish animation, rather than jumping from one static state to another.

2) Apple will take the wraps of new GUI to once again take Macintosh computing to the cutting edge (and coincidentally make Windows Aero look second rate)
Justification:
- This look has graced the Mac for 7 years, so I think Apple will look to push things forward.
- Aqua was developed in 18 months, which is > the time between 10.4 and 10.5, so it is certainly possible.
- The shiny/aqua look went away from Apple's hardware a long time ago.
- Yes, I know apps will have to be changed, especially if the use custom widgets, but this will be possible in the time between receiving the beta (early June) and the product shipping (sometime in October).
- Finally, there were (until recently when the look was unified) no cosmetic changes to the GUI in the developer builds. The current look appears to be a place holder for something else.

3) Possible: .Mac improvements and integration with either current Google services or something Apple and Google have been collaborating on. Developers will need to know about this because some of their Apps integrate with .Mac. And some of them may be .Mac customers.

4) Possible: Previews of iLife and iWork Leopard Editions. Although an audience of developers may not be too interested in what are essentially consumer apps. That said Apple may want to showcase these to inspire developers to show what they can do with the new technologies in Leopard. iWork and/or iLife may be bundled in with the OS too as they will be dependent on its features.

5) Definite: A dig at Vista, somewhere, from someone.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I thought it was supposed to be about Leopard.. but all we hear about is that soul less iPhone. There seems to be absolutely no buzz surrounding Apple's next operating system...which isn't good in my opinion.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I thought it was supposed to be about Leopard.. but all we hear about is that soul less iPhone. There seems to be absolutely no buzz surrounding Apple's next operating system...which isn't good in my opinion.

[1] iPhone is a significant technical achievement and important for Apple to continue its aggressive growth.

[2] WWDC will be about Leopard. All the promotion has suggested that. Last years conference was nearly all about the OS as well.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I personally think that multi-touch iMacs or large displays are a long way off.

Whether we like it or not, the keyboard and mouse are going to remain as the standard way of interacting with your PC for the next five to ten years.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
I am predicting full review of Leopard, top to bottom. Too late for iLife '07, iLife '08 will be probably released at MacWorld 2008. Probably little to none talk about the iPhone at WWDC because Steve already introduced and explained the iPhone at MacWorld. Maybe an updated Mac Pro and Cinema Displays if Seaburg platform comes out by then. This might be pushing it: a new ultraportable model might be introduced at WWDC.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Okay, I'll kick it off.

iWork 2007 - Shipping Today

I think they will probably wait until Macworld 2008, I'm sure it will be dependent on the features produced in Leopard, so They will probably wait and call it iWork 2008, which could possibly be a competitor to Office 2008, (One hopes!)

iPhone - Some very cool secret feature we don't yet know about

I believe the iPhone will have its own keynote on the day or day before the release.

I think we will see:

1) Considerable revisions to Finder
Justification:
- It needs it as it has been neglected for too long and there are some obvious flaws/bugs/performance issues, or is the case of networking, read all of the above.
- Apple have not changed much in the Finder in the developer seeds (from what I have seen in the screenshots), which makes me suspicious something is coming. Expect it to make use of Core Animation, for example, when you sort a folder by name the icons will move places using a swish animation, rather than jumping from one static state to another.

2) Apple will take the wraps of new GUI to once again take Macintosh computing to the cutting edge (and coincidentally make Windows Aero look second rate)
Justification:
- This look has graced the Mac for 7 years, so I think Apple will look to push things forward.
- Aqua was developed in 18 months, which is > the time between 10.4 and 10.5, so it is certainly possible.
- The shiny/aqua look went away from Apple's hardware a long time ago.
- Yes, I know apps will have to be changed, especially if the use custom widgets, but this will be possible in the time between receiving the beta (early June) and the product shipping (sometime in October).

3) Possible: .Mac improvements and integration with either current Google services or something Apple and Google have been collaborating on. Developers will need to know about this because some of their Apps integrate with .Mac. And some of them may be .Mac customers.

4) Possible: Previews of iLife and iWork Leopard Editions. Although an audience of developers may not be too interested in what are essentially consumer apps. That said Apple may want to showcase these to inspire developers to show what they can do with the new technologies in Leopard.

5) Definite: A dig at Vista, somewhere, from someone.

I hope so sounds great, hopefully the best has yet to come!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Okay, I predict Virtualization will be the great Leopard secret feature, maybe even without seeing Windows load.

It's time to graduate from Boot Camp (which will still be an option) and move into the war proper.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
My WWDC 2007 predictions/wishlist:

•.Mac update
•iPhone API
•Leopard Public Beta or Early Release
•iWork/iLife now built into Mac OS X
•iMac dicontinued, replaced by Mac, featuring a new case design
•Leopard will sport an iTunes 7 like interface
•QuickTime 8 will support a wider variety of formats, and the Pro feature set will be free
•At long last, the PowerBook G5 will be released (okay, that one was a joke)

I believe the iPhone will have its own keynote on the day or day before the release.

The iPhone already had it's own keynote. It was called MacWorld 2007. :p

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
My WWDC 2007 predictions/wishlist:

•.Mac update
•iPhone API
•Leopard Public Beta or Early Release
•iWork/iLife now built into Mac OS X
•iMac dicontinued, replaced by Mac, featuring a new case design
•Leopard will sport an iTunes 7 like interface
•QuickTime 8 will support a wider variety of formats, and the Pro feature set will be free
•At long last, the PowerBook G5 will be released (okay, that one was a joke)

The iPhone already had it's own keynote. It was called MacWorld 2007. :p
You're joking right? Powerbook G5 is going to come out on a Tuesday! Not a Monday! Monday isn't worthy of the Powerbook's G5ness!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
iWork+iLife-(won't use '07 in their name), some tie in with the iPhone, hence the delay. iWork will have Exel replacement.

iPhone info will be released, something to do with 3rd party support, maybe mention of data plans and what not.

ACD w/ iSight will get some talk and/or new iMac.

The Mac Mini will be ignored, I think.

Stevenup7002

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
Clonmel, Ireland
Well first of all I think apple are gonna say goodbye to the mac mini and say hello to the mac nano as a one more thing slot. Then they will announce iLife '07/08 with some really new innovative program(s) that no one has ever thought of before. About 35 new features in leopard that are going to be so amazing, you'll want to watch the keynote over and over again just to see them.

But I remain confident that a new iMac form factor will be introduced. I have two ideas of what it might be.

1. A really cool expandable imac where the computer is entirely on the back of the monitor (like the G5) Except, you can pull it off the back and expand it eaily. Also with this kind of form, you could change the screen size without having to buy a whole new imac

2. A really cool new imac where the entire computer is in a very flat base, and the monitor is projected in mid air so that you can put your hand through it. Ill make a simple diagram to show you what I mean:

Screen that
you can put
your hand through

________/COMPUTER\
________|__________|

Both of these ideas would be really cool.

Lets see how accurate I am!
-Steven :eek:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think we are getting new iMacs, and that Leopard will have a new UI. I also think that iLife will be included in the OS, like Steve said last August, Leopard will deliver the "Complete Package"

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Well first of all I think apple are gonna say goodbye to the mac mini and say hello to the mac nano as a one more thing slot. Then they will announce iLife '07/08 with some really new innovative program(s) that no one has ever thought of before. About 35 new features in leopard that are going to be so amazing, you'll want to watch the keynote over and over again just to see them.

But I remain confident that a new iMac form factor will be introduced. I have two ideas of what it might be.

1. A really cool expandable imac where the computer is entirely on the back of the monitor (like the G5) Except, you can pull it off the back and expand it eaily. Also with this kind of form, you could change the screen size without having to buy a whole new imac

2. A really cool new imac where the entire computer is in a very flat base, and the monitor is projected in mid air so that you can put your hand through it. Ill make a simple diagram to show you what I mean:

Screen that
you can put
your hand through

________/COMPUTER\
________|__________|

I very very much doubt that.
1. Apple would hate for you to be able to expand "the screen" so you don't need to buy a new Mac when you want to "change the screen size" They want you too buy their new products.
2. To project something the light coming from the bulb needs to hit something to bounce the light off of into your eyes, You can just project into thin air and it will show up.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis

Screen that
you can put
your hand through

________/COMPUTER\
________|__________|

Your iMac is like 5 years ahead in to the future but I like it. :) Hope it will come true. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.