Official YellowPages iPhone Application?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One reader reports that a Yellowpages.com representative claimed that Yellowpages.com would soon be arriving on the iPhone as a new application similar to Youtube. It is reportedly due sometime next month, presumably though an iPhone software update.

Yellowpages.com is a telephone directory owned by AT&T. They already have mobile versions of the site available for a limited number of AT&T mobile devices. It certainly seems conceivable that an iPhone specific version could be in the works.

Article Link

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
I was thinking this would make a great app and was about to suggest it.

i hope they do the same when it comes to the uk with yell.com.

Could be really handy. wonder if it would require a connection to the internet? could it cache your local numbers?

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
I'm surprised that Apple would partner with YellowPages rather than Google for this - it strikes me that, ultimately, Google will offers a far more comprehensive and interconnected version of the same idea.

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
I'm surprised that Apple would partner with YellowPages rather than Google for this - it strikes me that, ultimately, Google will offers a far more comprehensive and interconnected version of the same idea.
AT&T Owns Yellowpages.com

No other reason really, but it is a partnership and Apple has to give some stuff back to AT&T.

Sebastian

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Google indexes website content. Yellow Pages is a business directory organized into categories.

Different things.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd like this and the new movie times widget from Leopard. I do think they should move the widgets (Weather, Stocks, Calculator) into a "Widgets" or "Dashboard" app instead of leaving them in the main screen. It'd also be nice if they'd open things up so people can use Dashcode to develop iPhone widgets that can actually be installed on the iPhone so that a 'net connection isn't strictly necessary to run them.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Google indexes website content. Yellow Pages is a business directory organized into categories.

Different things.
Well Google does a lot more now. I think an offshoot of Google Maps could be a Google People Finder or something. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Am I the only one who hopes this doesn't happen?

I hope if this happens that it's an optional widget. I don't see myself ever having a use for this over Google Maps. Even if I did, having a Yellow Pages web.app makes much more sense.

Save the free space on main screen for Games, iChat, 3rd Party Apps, etc...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I hope if this happens that it's an optional widget. I don't see myself ever having a use for this over Google Maps. Even if I did, having a Yellow Pages web.app makes much more sense.

I'm sure there will be a way to customize it soon enough. Apple usually thinks of these things.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I'd just like to say that this is true. Apple's DefaultApplicationState.plist includes the following (not yet there) apps:

com.apple.unitconverter
com.apple.widget.phonebook
com.apple.widget.translation
com.apple.mobile.radio (could be contacting to the Radio device though)

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Resist the ATT Borg

Yellowpages sounds like it's more of a bookmark in Safari rather than an widget taking up valuable screen space. I could really use a To Do list application, with milestone alarms to keep you on track to finishing the tasks you input. Kinda like a performance planner.

Keep the Yellowpages as bookmark as it should be. My iPhone home screen shouldn't be stripmall for ATT.

Resist the temptation of the Dark Side, Steve...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Yellowpages sounds like it's more of a bookmark in Safari rather than an widget taking up valuable screen space. I could really use a To Do list application, with milestone alarms to keep you on track to finishing the tasks you input. Kinda like a performance planner.

Keep the Yellowpages as bookmark as it should be. My iPhone home screen shouldn't be stripmall for ATT.

Resist the temptation of the Dark Side, Steve...
Isn't there a yelllowpages widget for Dashboard already? It seems to make perfect sense to me to keep that as a widget and not a bookmark. It isn't something that requires a full browser launch.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

i agree. of all the new apps to come out, yellowpages is one i'm certainly not looking forward to, especially with google maps. i'm having trouble imagining how it would all work. you look up a business in yellowpages, where it retrieves a list of places with phone numbers and addresses. pressing the phone number calls the business but pressing the address guides you to google maps? why not start from google maps in the first place? :confused:

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'd like this and the new movie times widget from Leopard. I do think they should move the widgets (Weather, Stocks, Calculator) into a "Widgets" or "Dashboard" app instead of leaving them in the main screen. It'd also be nice if they'd open things up so people can use Dashcode to develop iPhone widgets that can actually be installed on the iPhone so that a 'net connection isn't strictly necessary to run them.
See I look at the home screen AS the dashboard... that's where are your apps and widgets are. As Apple adds more official apps and widgets (specifically after they have enough to fill the screen) I would bet there would then be a dashboard manager for the iPhone (just like the one on your dashboard) where you could select, unselect, add, or uninstall various apps and widgets from Apple.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
why the heck would i need this? i already have google maps....

See I look at the home screen AS the dashboard... that's where are your apps and widgets are. As Apple adds more official apps and widgets (specifically after they have enough to fill the screen) I would bet there would then be a dashboard manager for the iPhone (just like the one on your dashboard) where you could select, unselect, add, or uninstall various apps and widgets from Apple.
i concur, i believe they will most likely add this by december

CormacMaclaggan

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Utah
The guy who came in and told me about it said that AT&T was focusing a lot of attention on yellowpages.com. From the way he described it, it sounds like a way good idea. I think i would use the feature a lot. :rolleyes:

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
I'm quite a big fan of to-do's - but they always seemed to be set up rather badly in ical, and especially how they sync to ipod. Maybe I just never worked out how to use them properly tho.
Then again I'm the sort of person that uses a diary for the first week in January :(

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
sweet. Better than paying the $.75-$1.50 to call 411, not to mention address info, etc as well.
why would you be calling 411 on an iphone... you have google maps

mac os x leopard.
redmond has a cat, too. a copycat.
i crack up each time i see this line....

um i would love to see my ichat, and life would be very very nice :)

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
so pretty much the only things this could conceivably do that google maps isn't doing very well already are…

- caller ID for numbers outside your phone book.
- a way to look up people not just businesses.