Officially O2 unlocked iPhone for use in USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baileypja, Jun 29, 2010.

1. baileypja macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just moved to USA. I had an out of contract iPhone 3G with O2. I filled in the form on their website for the phone to be unlocked for free. They sent me a text saying the handset had been unlocked.

Since then I have updated to iOS4. I then tried a Verizon sim from my wife's blackberry. Unfortunately it just says "NO SERVICE"

Does anyone think this should have worked? Could the iOS4 upgrade overwritten O2's good deed?!

I am hoping to be able to use this phone in the USA. What does everyone think?

Many thanks for any replies!

Phil

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

An officially unlocked iPhone will only work with AT&T and TMobile.

3. brian540 macrumors member

Not too familiar with the verizon 'sim' but isn't that just for international?

try an ATT or T mobile sim to see if that works.... I just can't see a verizon 'sim' working since they use CDMA as their primary network

otherwise just jailbreak it and unlock it =)

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When you received the text from O2 did you insert a non-O2 sim card and connect to iTunes as instructed?

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Your phone is unlocked. Verizon sim cards have no service in the U.S because they're international sim cards. Try it with a local GSM carrier or T-Mobile.

6. baileypja thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I didn't see or read that part of the intructions!! I will try and find someone with an ATT sim to test later.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

7. Samar7 macrumors member

iPhone will only work with a gsm carrier, Verizon is CDMA.

8. baileypja thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any recommendations for good deals in USA for T mobile or ATT. I prob use up to 1gb a month data. Very few calls.
    Phil