Price Advice Officially Unlocked AT&T 16GB iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 3282868, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I have a 16GB iPhone 3GS that was just unlocked today from AT&T. Previously it was jailbroken and unlocked.

As I have sold more recent models in the past, I do not know what a reasonable asking price would be for an unofficial unlocked device that is two models behind. I checked eBay and as this is recent for AT&T there aren't any I could find. It's in perfect condition.

I also am including a Brookstone iPhone 3GS charging plate, and will jailbreak the device should the buyer desire.

Thanks!

2. saud0488 macrumors 6502

It really all depends on where you're selling. If it's ebay....well then you really don't decide the price. you could do buy it now, and in that case I'd probably ask 250-275. Seems steep but 3gs values have remained relatively high. Do some research. If you're selling on CL, depending on where you live you probably won't get nearly as much as if you were to try to sell to an international audience (i.e. ebay).

3. 3282868, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012

3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Wow, thanks. I normally sell through eBay. I'll most likely set a reserve price and a "Buy It Now". I'll check again today if anyone has posted unlocked 3GS models, but I'm thinking ~$250 (split the difference)? Thanks 6corewhore for the thread, I was about to post the same question(s).

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Given that any pretty much any 3GS sold over two years ago with contracts in good standing are eligible. I doubt there is much of a premium for a factory unlocked iPhone in the US now. At least not to the degree as they once were.

5. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

True, which was my concern. How much would you list it for on eBay? Trying to figure out what price would be reasonable.

6. saud0488 macrumors 6502

In the US there isn't a demand but with online sites like eBay, a lot of packages go to freight forwarding services and end up in other countries. Thus, the price will be a lot higher online than if you were to sell on craigslist.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Looking at a current completed listing search they sell for between $200 and $250 used. New units seem to go for considerably more. That's not half bad considering I paid $250 for mine used and off contract nearly two years ago. Looking farther back it seems the value has dropped $50 to $75 since before AT&T announced they were unlocking them.