Officially unlocked iPhone sends MMS messages by itself to ex-operator

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rikesh, Feb 16, 2010.

1. rikesh macrumors newbie

In the UK, had my O2 iPhone officially unlocked by them. iTunes showed the message 'congratulations your iPhone is unlocked' so it went through ok.

When I first had the phone unlocked I ported my number over to Vodafone. Everything works great - but looking at the online billing I found a charge for an MMS sent to '1010'. I recognised this as the O2 MMS number used to set up a new phone with picture messaging.

Now I don't really use MMS so I just disabled it to prevent further messages being sent. Recently, I updated the iPhone firmware to 3.1.3 with a clean install. All my settings were lost so MMS was back on by default.

Predictably, another message was sent from my number to '1010'. I was of course charged for it.

This is really starting to get on my nerves. It is a legally unlocked iPhone and yet here it is sending messages by itself. Any tips?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Contract shouldn't matter. If he has an Vodafone sim card, and his number is on Vodafone, I really can't answer.

4. rikesh thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't even on contract, it was on pay as you go.

I know O2 never actually delete ex-customer accounts, they simply 'deactivate' them. I might write a letter requesting they delete my account to see if this helps.

But I am quite certain the problem is phone-specific rather than either networks' fault.