Offline data? Weather / mail Etc

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KiwiLee, Sep 25, 2008.

1. KiwiLee macrumors member

Hi

Just bought my first ever Ipod :D
    The new 2g Touch, very very impressed.

Sadly i live in an area where public wi-fi is poor and i spend 2/3 of my day without a wifi signal. Yet i do have my wi-fi etc at home.

Is there anyway the data for some Apps can be held "offline" at all? By this i mean like the weather app (default one). When at home it correctly updates to show the weeks weather report. But if i try and check the weather when i am out of wi-fi it just tries and then update fails leaving a blank weather app. Can it not store the weather report from earlier in the day and just show that data from offline? Its really annoying seeing a blank weather report when the ipod had all the data hours before.

A similar problem occurs with Email, i can at home on good wi-fi get my emails synced to a preview of 5 lines ok. Then later in the day i wish to check a detail in an email and when i try and open it, it just complains it has no internet connection? Could it not store the full email when it grabbed it earlier in the day?

Sorry if none of this is possible at all, i totally new to ipods and what the software is capable of. Its a wonderful device, but a shame if most of its functions cant be held for "offline" use. Not everywhere on earth has good public wi-fi networks.

Thanks

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

For me Mail works perfectly fine offline and I am able to view the whole message so I don't know what your issue there is. For Weather there is no way to keep the data although sometimes for me it does, but this behavior seems erratic.

3. shadie macrumors member

I have the same problem as the OP.

Mail does not download for offline reading, both POP3 and IMAP accounts have this problem.

I would say 95% of email does not download for offline reading, even emails I have viewed and opened atatchments are not available after I disconnect from Wifi.

Safari is the same, if I open say 6 pages and view them, when I go offline and try to view the pages I get nothing.

What gives?

iPod Touch 1st Gen 2.1 software, mail accounts synces via iTunes (tried manaullay adding accounts, no change)

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have been using mail since 1.1.2 on my iPod and I have been able to download attachments and mail and then when I'm not connected to wifi I have been able to open emails and attachments with no problems.

as for the above safari problem thats normal with any browser, you cannot go back fo safari after closing it and expect the webpage to be viewable. If you did that on a pc or mac the website would be gone aswell

and mail can sync in iTunes only if you tell it to sync with your dektop based email or mobile me. You can sync via imap with all the defaults when connected to wifi and it will be available offline aswell

5. shadie macrumors member

Open Safari brows to a couple of web pages, press the home button, open calendar, press home button and reopen Safari. Both web sites are still visible. Now go offline, open safari again and I get a blank page or thumbnail of the two sites, if I click on a thumbnail I get a blank page.

I can open an email while online and open attachments then close mail, when I go offline and try to open the mail again I get one of two errors on both IMAP and POP accounts.

Remember I've already opened and viewed the PDF attachments.

" This message is only partially downloaded" "Download remaining 0 bytes"
    or

"This message has not been downloaded from the server"

Any idea? I have tried a re flash and manually inputting my mail settings as well as syncing my mail settings through iTunes.

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

It's not the perfect solution, but you could open the weather app when at home, and just take a screen shot of it (press sleep and home at the same time). The screen shot will go straight to your photos section.