Offline GPS/Navigating Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mfaz91, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mfaz91 macrumors newbie

Any recommendations ? Frequent traveller here and would be great if there are good offline apps around

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

It would help to know your starting point; i.e. do you know about Navigon and Tom Tom?

Regards,
    Tom

3. mfaz91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Heard of them before. But both requires cellular data.

4. archwizard macrumors newbie

Check out CityMaps2Go... provides offline access to its maps. You can choose which maps to download specifically when you need it. This'll save valuable space on your iPhone.

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

The whole point of those two apps, and the reason I mentioned them, is that the maps reside on your phone.

Regards,
    Tom

6. wratran macrumors regular

Not true
    Maps are downloaded to your phone
    We use both

7. hlkc macrumors regular

Just to be crystal clear, for the CityMaps2Go, assume I have no internet connection there, I will use the previous downloaded map in my iPhone and walk around, with NO GPS/Satellite guidance, just like the old day paper map.

Again, since I've no connection and access internet there therefore it will have no GPS pinpoint my current location in my iPhone when I walk around. For some reasons... it said "No roaming" needed I thought it will provided me some guidance based on my current location.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

That is not true. The GPS receiver operates independently from the cellular or WiFi radios. If you have previously downloaded a map with CityMaps2Go, or similar off-line map solution, it will work.

Regards,
    Tom