Offline maps viewer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DavidMcDaid, Mar 19, 2009.

1. DavidMcDaid macrumors newbie

a friend of mine is going on holiday to italy for a week , he has an iphone 3g and wants to be able to view the maps and locate himself on the maps without using his data plan as it will cost him fortune for the week, is there any app he can get that will save the maps down

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I travel a lot due to work, and what I do is search for free wi-fi connections and plan where I go before going out.
    Make a snapshot of my iPhone screen by holding down the sleep/wake buttom + the home button.
    Sometimes I am forced to activate the roaming and it hurts my wallet.
    If he is going to drive a lot, a GPS unit may be the best way to go.
    Sadly the iPhone roaming charges are huge.
    I am not sure if unlocking and using a local pre paid SIM with data plan will be better than investing in the GPS.
    TomTom is supposed to have better maps in Europe than Garmin, but Garmin has better keyword search alternatives, TomTom forces you to search by street name and number (you need to know the address) or by their loade POI, Garmin also allows you to do a keyword search.

3. DavidMcDaid thread starter macrumors newbie

no driving

the friend does not drive at all so dont need a gps he just wants to be able to mark places on the maps around the cities he is visiting and know where they are in reference to where he is