Offline Maps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I've been googling and searching around for an offline maps program.

Something I do not have to cache manually based on what I see on screen, Something that I can download by city and preferably use the native map app or if need be something else that looks better than the native map app.

Main purpose is to be able to use GPS for walking/driving directions, without data needing to be on.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

THANKS

2. STravisC macrumors regular

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Search Maps Enhancer 1.3 on google, its a modified version of Maps Enhancer that supports 4.2.1, lets you cache the maps.

4. jdaniel, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah. I read about that thanks. But I would prefer something easier where you can download a whole city or something like that. And it doesnt quite tell you how much you can cache and if you can only cache one thing at a time but I will try it out.

ok tried it doesnt work on iphone4 4.2.1... the settings dont load tried reinstalling etc etc rebooting

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Navigon, Tom Tom, etc, are all offline but they're full on loaded map solutions that cost a bit.

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I like Navigon better as a guided GPS(Tom Tom is dumb as hell when rerouting), but scrolling thru Tom Tom 2D map is much more smooth and easier to read.

If you live in a populated area, all the point of interests on Navigon 2D map will make in basically unreadable. The titles for the POIs are to big and cover the street names and map. So I had to basically uncheck most of the POIs. And the map on Navigon can be a pain to scroll sometimes. You have to tap it two or three times before it becomes scrollable, then if you stop scrolling it goes back into 3D mode. With Tom Tom it's just a better experience when scrolling maps.

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

cool i found a 'source' for tomtom but i have yet to find a local version to try out but I guess I will try it when I am in Europe