Offline navigation on each mobile platform (driving, walking, and public transport)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ozaz, Jun 15, 2014.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

What are the best apps for offline navigation (driving, walking, and public transport) on each of the mobile platforms?

On Android & iOS I'm aware of some paid apps which do a good job of offline driving & walking navigation (e.g. Co-Pilot), but I don't know about offline public transport route planning. This is often the thing I want when I'm abroad.

On Windows Phone, do the HERE apps provide offline public transport route planning, or it it only for walking and driving?

2. maciek macrumors newbie

I have Nokia 820 and the navigation is great. The thing I do not know is whois the author of this and who is the owner. Nokia is since years the champion in navigation on mobiles. Before Windows Phone Nokia provided navigation on their Symbian phones and it also worked very well. Nokia has its own maps and is using three systems to navigate; GPS of US, Glonas of Russia and in addition take coordinates of the current cell of your cellular network. Beter kan niet and all this is without any charge.
    I have Garmin in my car and very often I use both. When on holidays I am looking for another beach I found this first on my Nokia and give to Garmin the city and the name of the street to drive to it. Do not believe that any other phone can do better. Even more, you have two modes of navigation, one for driving and one for walking what is not the case with my Garmin.
    I am only a bit afraid what Microsoft will do with this. My advice do not touch it and negotiate with Nokia to provide this navigation for all Windows Phones.