Offline road atlas?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fodorfolde, Dec 28, 2008.

1. fodorfolde macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Wife bought me an itouch for Xmas and I'm having a blast playing with it. Problem is, the Map setting seems to rely on being connected, or am I wrong? I can't seem to find an offline road atlas, and am a little disappointed about that.

If there is any Ontario people out there, am I up-the-creek with the connectivity options?

Am I overlooking something obvious? Ugh. Any help would be great!

2. bfkad macrumors newbie

Map relies on being connected regardless of iPod vs Iphone.

iPod only supports wireless connections via the 802.11 protocol.

iPhone relies on 3G, Edge, or wireless connections.

Yours will only work when you are within range of a wireless access point you can connect to, and will not always be able to determine your location. Although when I fired mine up in our Guest network at my work, it identified my location almost exactly, even though the access point to the Internet was over 5 miles away. But I have tried it other places and it complained about not being able to determine my location.

3. minibike100 macrumors newbie

minibike100

when you jailbreak the Touch there is a way to take certain information from the iPhone and put it into the Touch and have 3G or Edge. ( My cousin did it for me and im having a blast with it. and it the stuff is off of his iPhone so i dont have to pay a dime!!!!!!:))

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Ummm...that's hardware. You'd need a cellular receiver to get 3G or EDGE and, as it happens, the iPod touch lacks both of these. If it was possible then everyone would be jailbreaking their iPods to use it as an iPhone.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree. It's like this gentleman who once asked me if he could download a sound card for his PC. (No comment). Same thing here, it's hardware and you would need to add a lot of bundles or if you're professional then open it up and replace many parts in order for it to act as a phone. I'm sure your cousin just installed Fring and used it as VOiP.