Offline RT in FCE????

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, May 2, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Can someone explain offline RT in FCE and how that will make the exported product smaller?

Thanks!

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Final Cut Express doesn't have OfflineRT. OfflineRT is one of the many features which distinguishes Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express.

OfflineRT in Final Cut Pro doesn't make the exported product smaller, if what you're talking about is the final output such as for a web upload. What it's for is conserving disk space while editing a rough cut. Disk space is conserved because OfflineRT is a lower quality, much smaller file size format. Once the rough is complete, then the editor can reconnect to the online-quality media. One would not want to export the OfflineRT cut for final output.

OfflineRT is one of the lesser understood and lesser used features in Final Cut Pro. Although it's been around since FCP 3, I'm the only one I know who's used it, and that includes encounters at the Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group meetings where the subject came up.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've used it too, so that makes two of us. :cool:

I've exported the smaller version of a movie, to make a sample for my project partners to check. That made the "daily cuts" easier to distribute. Only later, when the initial editing was finished, did I start building full-resolution exports.

As you say, the final version is the same, whether or not you use OfflineRT during the editing process.