Offload iMac 2015 for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by czerney, May 4, 2018.

  1. czerney macrumors regular

    Mar 14, 2009
    After having mac laptops for 10 years I pulled the trigger on my first iMac just on 1 year ago in April 2017.

    So I picked up the top spec at the time iMac 27 2015 model with the i7, 512GB SSD, M395X, and then upgraded it to 32GB RAM myself afterwards. Also got Applecare (coverage tuntil 03/2020) the whole exercise cost over $6K (AUD)

    Now after a year I can say it's been a great experience with a top notch screen, but not having a laptop has impacted me big time. Being restricted to one location when I work has been a major drag on my productivity so the game plan is to go back to a macbook pro.

    So I'm thinking of offloading the iMac and then buying a 15" MBP in June 2018.

    My question for any members (especially if you're an aussie) is what a fair asking price for my iMac would be?
  2. mzeb macrumors regular


    Jan 30, 2007
    I always run ebay to get an idea. You don't have to sell it there but you'll get a good going rate. Here's the query I used:

    Looks like about 2000-2500USD which is about 3k AUD. But I think the prices start higher in Australia due to tariffs and shipping so I'd prolly go a little higher than that. If you aren't in a rush to sell right now I'd prolly start the asking at $3500AUD.
  3. kschendel macrumors 65816

    Dec 9, 2014
    If you look at ebay, make sure you look at sold items. Otherwise you are potentially wading through any amount of unsold merchandise at wishful thinking prices. Maybe not that much of an issue for computers, but it could save you some pricing mistakes.
  4. czerney thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 14, 2009
  5. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003
    Keep your iMac.

    Get a used MBA or MBP if you *need* something portable.
  6. czerney thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 14, 2009
    Actually I was just thinking that might be a better idea... ie, pick up an older one someone might be looking to offload once the new ones are out.
  7. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 21, 2017
    Oh you bought a specced out 2 year old iMac 3 months before the 2017 were released, :( Selling it would be a bad decision because you will lose too much money on it (

    I also recommend buying a small laptop to go with your iMac. The 15" are so expensive now that, unless someone really needs a dGPU and quad-core on the go, it makes more sense to have a desktop and a cheaper laptop.

    For the price of a MBP 15" and a decent monitor one can buy an iMac and a MB or 13" MBP!
  8. jaduff46 macrumors 6502


    Mar 3, 2010
    Second star on the right....
    The kids have had great success with the 13" MBP. I personally love the screen of the iMac (2010 in my case) even without the Retina, but i gain the portability for most everything I need to do ex photography with my iPad Air.

    Best of luck
  9. kschendel macrumors 65816

    Dec 9, 2014
    Or needs / wants the extra screen real estate, on the road. That's the only reason I have a 15".
  10. czerney thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah it was an unfortunate time to buy :\ Fortunately performance wise it completely meets my needs - my only issue is with the form factor.

    It's not worth selling now especially after throwing over 6K AUD at it especially if I ended up getting half that. I'll probably just keep it until it dies.

    I'll just keep an eye out for a cheap laptop which if I'm keeping my iMac doesn't actually need to be a mac. PC could be fine as it will be mainly for productivity apps. I don't do the video editing / creative side of things when I'm out and about so don't need to have a mac for FCPX etc.

    Think Dell release the XPS 15 in Australia tomorrow... but the 13" might be a goer. Will compare next month.

    Thanks all.

Share This Page