Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
So, I have this extremely high spec FreeNAS server, since my gaming computer went to hell and I put all the good stuff in the NAS.
Does anyone here have any experience with running build processes and stuff on server, and just edit the files through a NFS or CIFS share? I'm thinking about NPM, Webpack, Babel and other stuff like that here, not compiling through XCode, obviously. Running the webserver on the server to see the results is pretty obviously possible, so I won't even ask about that.
If I could offload all of that from the ol' MBP and just run iterm2, I might not have to wait 15 seconds when I try to open a new chrome tab...

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
distcc if you're doing command-line stuff - Apple took distcc out back in like Xcode 4 or 5 :(

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I kind of feel like you didn't read my post very thoroughly, but thanks for trying...

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Nothing, I just want to know what kind of issues people have gotten into while doing something like this. Network lag, NFS problems, whatever.

It would take me a day to set up, so I'd like to know if I'm wasting my day.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
First, thanks for making me aware of FreeNAS. Looks interesting, especially the encrypted disk feature.

It's been years since I've had personal servers. When the networking is working correctly I don't recall any serious delay issues. Was able to log in and edit files easily, use WebDAV, watch large video files, and of course use Apache for both internal and external access. Think I even did some editing of images and video on my Mac of files on the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.