Offsite backup software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Man-O-Leisure, May 6, 2009.

1. Man-O-Leisure macrumors newbie

Hey, does anyone know an offsite backup option for OSX?

I have a new client with a new xServe, and they are wanting offsite data backup for their important data. I don't know of anyone offering offsite databackup that has a OSX client. Any ideas?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Depending on what kind of backup that you want to do, there are various back up services available.

Recently, I signed up for Carbonite.

It works well. You can synchronized the folders/files that you want to back up. Mac OS X client is easy to install and use. Data is double encrypted.

3. GregE macrumors 6502

I just started using CrashPlan for my iMac and MacBook Pro. I have a RAID 1 EHD at home and a XP machine running at work that I back up to. Works great, is encrypted, and is free.

Greg

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

5. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

They all have their plus and minuses and I actually went with SafeCopy. Unfortunately, I did not do enough research on the whole concept. It is a great idea to have your irreplaceable files stored at an off site location. What I did not realize at first is the time involved in getting your files to the backup server. I had well over 100GB of files I wanted to place on the backup site. Most sites will tell you that you can expect to be able to backup at a rate of 2 -3 GB a day. Obviously I did not read this, so Caveat Emptor... as they say.

I just tried CrashPlan and I must say it is really an amazing program. It allows you to backup to so many different options including your friends computer miles away from you. It is multi platform (Mac, Windows, and Linux) and easy to work with. I may just buy a portable hard drive and backup my files there and store it in my safe deposit box. My really important files can be backed up to one of these off site places that offer the free, usually 2 GB, of space. I like iDrive and did get 12 GB for referring others to the site. The only downside to iDrive is they require separate accounts and on the Mac side do not yet encrypt the files on their server (anyone could have access to them :eek:).