iPad mini OG iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattbaar26, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the original mini now. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 but I really want to give the mini a try, I like the form factor more and quite honestly, I'm a little tired of messing around with ROMS and all that on my Nexus. I was pretty set on getting the rMini but was really discouraged when I saw it would cost $400 especially considering I would prefer a 32 gb. I would be using it for general use: some games, general browsing, probably for school a little. Would the 1st gen mini still be able to suit my needs? I'm not drooling over the retina screen, I have an air which is fine and I've never had a problem with pixels on the n7. I have also been trying to convince myself that I don't need the latest and greatest tech. Everyone raved about the mini all last year even though it didn't have the greatest specs, is it still good?

tl;dr Is the 1st gen mini still a relatively suitable tablet for general use?

2. rkuo macrumors 6502a

It would cost you more money over the long run as the mini is pretty much obsolete now. The first mini had serious compromises. The new mini has fixed all of those compromises.

3. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy one for $299 plus tax. It would be a much better deal to spend an extra Hundo on the retina mini. But if you can find one used or refurb or open box for under $250, I think they are still very useful devices. I'm looking to get a second one for my kids round the holidays.

Walmarts giving a $100 gift card with purchase of a mini on Black Friday, that's a pretty good deal.

4. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I should have mentioned that no way would I be buying a brand new or refurbished from Apple. I would get one off eBay for no more than $250, also that $100 back from Walmart is on the original mini, not the retina, already looked into that

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

6. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I think you're correct.
    Day to day light use the original mini will serve you well and looking at the $100. free gift card makes it an even more attractive proposition.