.ogm playback in Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kaelora, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Kaelora macrumors newbie

I've been trying to get some .ogm videos to play in Quicktime.
    I can play it in VLC, but the video is tiny and the subs unreadable.
    I can play it in MplayerOSX and the video is full size, but the subs (softsubs) will not work and only the Japanese dub track will play.
    (It has both English and Japanese dub tracks and English subtitles).

I have MoKgVm2DVD, but I really do not want to convert them to low-quality, non-language-changeable avi files.

Now, I did find some plugins for Quicktime called Xiph, but they just do not work. The files will load, but the video does not play. All I get is overlapping audio. (Both dub tracks simultaneously).

I thought it could be a problem with the ogg video format (Theora or whatever it is), but clicking info in Mplayer reveals that it is apparently using XVID video - which I've had no problem with before.

Can anybody help me get this working in Quicktime?
    If there's no way to do that, is there some way to convert an ogm to an equal quality/functionality mkv? (I've had no problems with mkv before).
    Thanks. :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Kaelora thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have Perian. It's great! The only real problem I've had is these ogm videos, which aren't supported.
    MoKgVm2DVD has been updated (now MKV Tools) and can convert to .mp4. This might work, but we'll see after the conversion. It's a long process, so I'd really rather be able to play as they are...

I was able to extract the 2 audio tracks, video track and subtitles, but have no way to put it all back together in a single container. (Preferably mkv). The video is avi, the audio is ogg and the subs are srt.
    Would there be a way to do that on a mac?

4. Kaelora thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I found a solution. Quick, simple and works perfectly.
    You'll need to install MKVToolnix for OS X. The MkvMerge app does not work for me - the OS X version is no longer supported, so I guess it's because I'm using leopard. Works fine in terminal, however.
    Use this:
    mkvmerge -o "destination.mkv" "origin.ogm"

There's no option to toggle subtitles on/off with perian, so to turn them off just hit cmd+J and uncheck the subtitle file.

So, if anyone else is in the same situation, try that.