Oh, boy. This can't be good.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my 1.42Ghz Mac mini. Fully updated.

So, I cleared up some space on my hard drive, and I wanted it to show the updated amount on my desktop. I relaunched Finder so the amount would update, but Finder didn't relaunch. I tried to relaunch it from the Dock, but no dice.

Whatever. I decided that I would log out and log back in to clear up this small problem. Upon logging out, my Mac showed the blue screen with the spinning gear for 15 minutes. I assumed it was stuck, so I held the power button and restarted.

I got the bonggg, the gray Apple loading screen, then the "Starting Mac OS X" screen. The blue bar slowly filled up, and then nothing. I let it sit like that for about a half hour, then I rebooted by holding the power button. Same problem.

Now, my question is, has anyone experienced a problem like this and, more importantly, does anyone know how I might fix this short of reinstalling the OS?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

EDIT: And now my screen just turned off and won't respond do anything. I'm just going to power it down until I can figure out a resolution.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I also tried booting with the Tiger CD, verifying, and repairing the disk. Same problem.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
iGary said:
Hold down CMD-OPT-O-F while starting up, and then type in:

reset-nvram
reset-all

See if that helps at all.
Nothing. I'm just going to Erase and Install, then restore from my backup. Thanks for trying to help, iGary. :)