oh christ my G4 is burning :<

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Äpfel, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Äpfel Guest

I have a 1Ghz DP MDD G4 tower annnnd I discovered today with an eletricallish burning odor that the big fan (like 6" across) blowing on what I assume to be the heatsink is not spinning ( I'm typing extra fast to limit the damage! ) but really it wont initiate spinning unless I manually turn it, then it seems ok. My question is I can't find it in the system profiler so what is this fan called and where can I get it? and if I cannot get it, what fan can I get that will use the same power provide the same cooling and take up the same amount of space?

and of course, if it is something as simple as installing a harddrive because I'm rubbish at hardware?

thanks in advance

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If it is burning, WTF are you doing still typing on it ??? Pull the AC plug right away.

If the fan isn't cooling the CPU heatsink, you'll do irreparable damage to the CPU or logic board from overheating.

3. Äpfel Guest

no no, it's spinnning now, it just wont START spinning by itself, once I nudge it it seems ok, my friend suggests that it's just dirty but I don't want to wake up one night to the smell of burning plastic again.

plus the noise is all WOOOOOOOoooOOOOooOOooOOoOOO

which suggests to me that somehting more horrific is going on

now when I shut it all the way down the fan on the power supply keeps going.
    ugh

any with any advice, please :<

when I turned it back on the power supply fan is revving like crazy up and down

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Unplug your computer, pack it up, and head for the nearest Authorized Apple repair shop. They'll know what's up, what part you may need replacing, etc.. Good luck to you.

5. Äpfel Guest

I've determined that the noise wasn't the power supply but the crazy case fan again, so I have extracted the old fan but am having trouble locating a new one. it seems all of 120mm case fans on newegg are 3 and 4 pin whereas mine has only 2?

suggestions?

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

Take it to an Authorized repair shop. Barring that, you can replace the fan. You will have to do some cutting and soldering, but you can buy a 4 wire fan, find the correct wires for the correct speed, and solder the old pigtail onto it. You can buy fans at Fry's Electronics or anyplace like that.

But seriously, if you do not understand everything I just said, take it somewhere to have it fixed. That fan dies, your computer overheats, and you lose your machine.

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

I guess you could, if you can find the correct end to use. I am not a fan of adapters like that, as that is 2 more breaks in a wire that could potential (though unlikely) fail. Soldering will not fail unless you suck at soldering, and for something like this, you would have to really suck. :)

But to answer your question, yes, as long as its the correct plug for both ends.

You could also get a fan with a 4 pin connector, like your HDD has, and use it. Since this fan runs all the time, it would not hurt anything.