OH CRAP!!! or OH GREAT!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cray, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cray macrumors newbie

My ipod touch was taken from my car at a motel and now I am without ... oh crap!

Now I have a reason to buy a new ipod touch 4th generation ... oh great!

I really miss my ipod touch ... oh crap!

The anticipation of the new 4th generation ipod touch is growing ... oh great!

BTW, wonder if there is away to get Apple to notify me when someone tries to connect through iTunes?

Has anyone ever had Apple work with them on something like this?

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

You can call apple and have them deactivate your ipod, but unfortunately you need the serial #, IMEI, and/or the ICC-ID. If you dont, than oh well.. What model was it? If it was 2nd gen or lower than the next upgrade will be big for you.

3. cray thread starter macrumors newbie

Ace,

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a 32gb 3rd Generation.

I have the serial number.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

How in the world could Apple de-activate an iPod Touch? They have no IMEI since there is no phone in it. There is no way for Apple to even find your iPod Touch. They could block the iTunes account or you could change the password, but that does not de-activate the iPod itself.

5. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

That sucks :(

6. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

I know there is not IMEI, thats why i said this, this, OR, this. Meaning its for iphones and ipods.

Apple CAN deactivate the iPod. The easiest way to do it is when the iPod connects to iTunes, and when it syncs it will erase the OS off of it. They could probably to it if it connected to the internet.. some how.. How do you think they deactivated the proto iphone 4?

7. NSWMaps macrumors member

The leaked prototypes were most likely deactivated using enterprise features. The most I've ever heard of apple doing with serial number is making sure that if someone takes it into an apple store and tries for warranty coverage, it will be retained.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

So there is or isn't a way to de-activate an ipod?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Only if you have MobileMe and have activated the "Find My iPhone/iPod" feature in MobileMe. And then *you* have to sign in to your MobileMe account to delete the data off your iPod. This won't render it useless to the person who has your iPod, they can connect an info-deleted iPod to iTunes and restore it, but they wouldn't get access to your personal info.

But Apple won't disable an iPod just because *you* tell them it's stolen. For instance, say you sold your iPod over craiglist or ebay, then got into a dispute over payment, and told Apple that the iPod was stolen and asked them to disable it. Apple doesn't want to get in the middle of disputes like that. In order for them to do anything, you first need to file a police report that your iPad was stolen, then find the Apple department that specifically deals with stolen property, and send them a copy of the police report. Even then, there might not be a lot they can / will do for you.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Ok, just wondering.

11. theman24 macrumors member

OMG why did you leave it in the car ESPECIALLY at a motel. If you took it with you you wouldn't be in this mess.

Hopefully Ipod Touch 4th Gen:D

12. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Not physically render it useless or anything. And MobileMe's Find my iPhone doesn't work too well with most Touch's in my experience, in fact it doesn't work at all with my Touch.

If it does work with a certain Touch, there is a way to display a message on the screen and have it beep though. If one's Touch does work with MobileMe they oughtta display an ominous message like "I know you have my iPod, don't fall asleep tonight" or something along those lines.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

K.

That would be awesome...

14. cray thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it was a bonehead thing to do. Placed it in car walked less than 30 yards to grab another bag, and then noticed it gone later. Oh well maybe I can get some insurance to cover it.

15. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

They could, but you'd have to have a damn good convincing story

16. Panther71 macrumors regular

Your car insurance will cover thefts under the Comprehensive coverage, but you will have to factor in your deductible on your policy. You will get the balance after considering your deductible. If you have a $500 deductible, like I do, you won't be eligible for any claim.

If you are eligible for a claim, be sure to file a police report. The insurance company will require this before you can put in an insurance claim.

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Better than nothing....