Oh dear. Screen and CD/DVD Drive problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seansation, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Seansation macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I wrote this earlier but everything went pear shaped and it didn't post.

I've been a long time lurker, and checked regularly for updates when the new MacBook Pro came out. I went out and got one as soon as they landed in Australia.

There were a few small hiccups at the start, black vertical lines started to appear on the screen. Every inch or so apart, a thick black faded line would go up to the top from the bottom. To see it very clearly, you had to turn the screen brightness down to low.

I called up AppleCare on the phone, we did a reboot sequence and it only ever appeared once after that.

I did however get this screen error a couple of times, after trying to log back on from lunch. The computer loud grunting noises and I didn't know what was going on. Then this;

[​IMG]

In a panic to capture the event, I took a fluke at screen grabbing it - which was lucky still working. I had to reboot for everything to go back to normal.

The next screen issue started just a few days ago, there is a small patch in the middle-right of the screen that is sort of faded. It only comes up when something dark is on the screen. I got a dodgy mobile photo here;

[​IMG]

It's the spot in the middle.

And last but not least - my CD-DVD drive has now collapsed/malfunctioned.

[​IMG]

I honestly have no idea what has happened - I can't even eject disks or insert them. Pressing the eject button just makes some weird as clunky noises. I haven't tried to modify anything (I wouldn't know how!), I haven't even carried it around a bag or anything - its just sat on my desk most of its life.

I really need a computer over the next few months as my end of year, final presentation is starting. It counts for a huge percentage of my grade, and I purchased this computer to be able to complete all of the design work.

I will take it into AppleCare etc - but I just wanted to see if anyone here had or heard of someone having similar issues with there MacBook Pro and how long the diagnosis/repair time took.

Cheers for reading.

Any help appreciated
    Sean.

2. Seansation thread starter macrumors newbie

3. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The first issue could be a dozen different things. No idea from what you've listed. I could guess a few things, but not knowing what you did with them, and given it's intermittence since... :confused:

Tough to tell about the faded spot. It looks minor at best, but in person maybe it looks worse. Basically a non-issue from where I'm sitting... at least with respect to warranting a repair.

The slot being curved down is from the top case being reassembled improperly or a bit of accidental damage. There's a clip above the drive there that holds the top and bottom cases together and if it isn't put together correctly the top presses down and the small bit of aluminum between the slot and the top case just bends down. It's possible that because of the extent of the bend it is just physically blocking media from being ejected.

4. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Let me preface: I am far from an expert. I have lots of experience, but that doesn't mean jack.

It looks like a couple problems going on.
    The crazy design looks like video problems or logic board problems.
    The lightness could be problems with the LCD. There have been problems with the screens noted.
    As for the Superdrive, it looks like a sumo wrestler stepped on it. It just collapsed? That's crazy. I have had trouble with the drive on my MBP (replaced twice) but it never looked like that.

Applecare is all that is going to save you on this one. It won't get your computer back to you faster, but hey, best of luck on this one.