Oh God .. Crashed the Uncrashable? HELP PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Epicc, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Epicc macrumors newbie

I have a mac os x running on leopard ..
    I was updating to some 10.5 software, and got to the point where I had to restart my computer, and while the newly downloaded updates were being installed,
    Of course, I nudge the power cable and it was just loose enough to come out.
    My computer turned off mid-installation, and now everytime I reboot I get the "Restart your computer" message.
    Aaaand everytime I restart my computer, I get logged on for about a minute before I get the message again.

Is there any way to fix this,
    or should I be ceaselessly freaking out and throwing things across my room at high velocities?:confused:

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Well, that could be more fun.

If you have a backup, then restore from it. If not, you'll need to reinstall OS X. Use "Archive and Install" to keep your old files. They should be fine, it's just the system files that are messed up.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Archive & install is the preferable option because it keeps the latest versions of your files, while your backup is likely outdated, if only by a few hours. If you check the "preserve users and network settings" option, you won't even have to reinstall any programs. Just run Software Update a few times (and leave the power cable alone ;) ) and you should be good to go.

4. stevey500 macrumors 6502

If you have another mac u can boot to with your crashed mac plugged in through firewire via target disk mode (hold down T on crashed computer before apple logo appears) OR an external firewire drive/older ipod before ipod video ... install OS/X onto it with the install DVD and boot from it...

Download the latest combined os/x update, tell it to install to the hard drive that has the crashed os/x installation.

Can't guarantee it... but i'd try it